Harsh Gearbox Noise on overrun

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Henry R26, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Hi there,

I have a 65k mile megane (done 45k of that myself!)

There is quite a bit of whine from the gearbox especially on overrun, however not too worried about this.

The thing that does concern me is on overrun it makes an extremely harsh rattling/chatter/grinding noise which goes away completely, as far as I can make out, as soon as any load is applied.

The LSD is pants and I'm sure it was better when I got the car. Feels like an open diff at the moment.

Has anyone experienced the same and is it likely to be the diff/diff bearings rather than the box itself. Gear changes are fine if not a little sloppy probably due to worn linkage/cables. It has an SMF and I replaced the box oil myself recently. Noise has been present for ~25k miles but it definitely getting worse.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers,
    H.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Also can now hear alot of gear noise when revving in neutral and car stationary. Goes away completely as soon as clutch is pressed. It doesn't appear to be the release bearing as its a very on off noise that doesnt change when slowing pressing the clutch to engage the release bearing, but noise goes as soon as the clutch disengages.

It sounds like its going to break :worried: anyone had experience of failed/failing gearboxes. This noise when stationary is pointing me away from the diff and towards the gearbox itself.

3. id say dmf

4. ill fetch it out the bin and have a look then [​IMG]

Got a quote from Renault of £1771 for a service exchange box :0

Drive it till it breaks then...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  5. I have the same noise which as far as i'm aware is the input shaft bearing.
    My diff is also whining too which is annoying. I think I need a refurbed box with a quaife!

6. It's your driving Henry :cool:

7. I'm kind on clutch and gearbox m8. Heel n toe ftw. Its been cherished all the way to 157mph with a stock IC :wink:

8. Thanks for your input (no pun intended). It does sound likely to be bearings as I have no driveability issues, just a god awful noise!