250 Hard to engage reverse and 1st gear

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Bendiolos, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Hello all.

My gearbox started to go funny, maybe it doesn't like the cold temps. It was on a normal day when i tried to engage reverse (with force because it was stiff) and got a horrible grind and judder. From that on i also had problems getting the car into 1st and generally the gear selection was feeling stiffer. To mention previously i encountered the occasional noise by reverse selection but only when the car rpm was a bit higher (cold start) and this could be avoided if i firstly put it into 1st and than reverse. But from now it's the other way around i hardly get a clean reverse engangement. So now when i have to engange reverse i turn the car off, put it into reverse and fire her up (manual start stop system :tearsofjoy:)

The clutch, DMF, master and slave cylinder, gearbox and dog bone mount were all changed 20k km ago. The clutch pedal has pressure, brake fluid is full so i presume no leakage. The gearbox oil was changed 3k km ago.
    It is strange because the clutch bites different from day to day. Sometimes its on the floor, so if you start the car in gear you can feel the car wants to go forward/reverse. The other day the gear engagement feels normal and also the clutch bite is ok.

I'm kinda lost where to start. First i would go the cheaper way and change the brake fluid and fit the clutch damper delete kit to make sure there is no leakage. Thank you for any advice.

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

its a clutch problem, especially if the peddle position changes each time

3. First thing to check is does it go into all the gears easily with the engine switched off?

If the answer is yes then it can only be a clutch problem.
    If it doesn't go into all the gears easily with the engine switched off then the problem is gear linkage related or gear selectors inside the gearbox.

4. Yes when the engine is off i can engange all the gears. Dammit, was hoping i can avoid the gearbox off situtation. Now i'm thinking if i have to replace the clutch again, should i go with a reinforced unit from sachs or nrc rather than oem. The car does peak at around 500 Nm.