225 Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Scattle, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Does anyone know if the handbrake/rear brake pads would expand when hot and contract when cold?

Reason I ask is, I got home from work last night and parked on my drive (slight downhill slope) put the handbrake on and went inside.

Look out the window 15/20 minutes later and the car looks considerably closer to the garage/front of my house, go and check outside and the car is 1/2 inches away from the garage and luckily had not hit anything at all! (It was originally parked about 5-6 feet from the garage)
    Open the car and the handbrake is still on and has not failed, but somehow the car rolled down the slope?

I just don't understand why it didn't start to roll when I got out of the car straight away after work?
    I normally leave the car in Gear/Reverse when parking on my drive but forgot to last night, what are the chances!

Ta Steve

2. mine used to do this all the time.are you running the standard drilled discs?

3. Leave it in gear

4. Daz

Daz

Naughty - leave it in gear!

5. Leave it in gear the megene handbrake is crap. And yes its possible to do this but it'll be the discs that contract rather than the pads, or the cables are stretched.