Handbrake lever release

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Maltkiln, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Hi all,

For the last couple of weeks I have been having issues with the handbrake lever on my R26 not releasing.

It feels as if when I press the release button it isn't actually releasing .. & I end up pulling the damn thing higher.

So far I have managed to always get it to release after a few attempts ... But am scared that sooner or later it will get stuck & I will be stranded (going on hols to Devon from Yorkshire next week) !!

Has this happened before to anyone ? Any ideas please ?

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

2. I've had the same problem with mine since I bought it, it's one of those things that I've always meant to get looked at. If it's any reassurance you just need to lift before pushing and it will disengage first time.

3. I had this. Had to have the mechanism replaced. Luckily under warranty. Renault seemed to think it was terminal. Sorry mate.

4. I had this I replace the handbrake Assm myself I think the parts where about £260.00

Rich

5. I did get by for ages by not pulling the handbrake up too far, so that when I needed to release it I could pull it up a bit first. Gave up and got it fixed after getting stuck at some traffic lights in York!

6. Daz

Daz

I'm afraid it's new handbrake time.

It's one of those things (like the steering squib) that you need to buy new to make sure it's 100% correct. With all the colour/stitching combo's it would be hard to find a replacement.

7. .... Not the answers I was hoping for lol

Sounds like it may be expensive .... Dang !!

Cheers

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8. These things always happen just before you go on holiday! Sods law mate.

9. This is an old bump but relevant

My handbrake on my R26 is acting he very same as the above. Can be impossible to disengage the handbrake so at traffic lights it becomes a panic to get going again.

Surely someone at this stage has stripped on to see what's wrong, it is wear or something broken? Is it caliper related?

Maybe it's iny head but feels to disengage easier if I prod the brake pedal at the same time?!!!

I don't fancy a new handbrake mechanism

10. Found this video,seems simple but is there a more permanent fix?

Will try this in the morning...