Grinding noise started this morning!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Nightingale95, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Hi guys

I've got a grinding kind of noise on my R26 that happens when I let off the accelerator in gear. It stops if I take the car out of gear and release the clutch and when I dip the clutch.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Gearbox /diff

3. I have a noise also, buys not always there. It disappears if I turn to the right a little or brake. Can only describe the noise as wom wom wom wom. Not a constant grind....

4. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

Is it a rotational sound?

I had this noise when my gearbox went and it was the pinion shaft.

5. Yeah I suppose, it sounds like something is rubbing. it's not all the time though. It used to be just when the car was hot but it done it thr other day when the car was cold. Gearbox all feels fine, gear changes are good and 90% of the time the noise isn't there. If it was box it would surely be there all the time?

6. TimR26

In my case the noise was there whenever I lifted off the throttle.

7. Ok mate I'll see next time I'm out in it. Pretty sure it's there when on throttle too but can't remember. How much did that cost to sort?

8. TimR26

It cost £750 to refurb my gearbox.

9. Was that labour for taking it out too? Oh god I wish I'd kept my old 225. Spent nothing on that

10. TimR26

That was just for the refurb, no labour etc.

I think your issue might be different to mine so hopefully yours isn't the gearbox.

11. Fingers crossed bud! Cheers for the info

12. If you can get the gear box to Nottingham my mate who owns Scott's gear boxes will rebuild it for a lot less than £750 , he's done a few on here, he's brilliant

13. Diff!?!

14. ^That's what I thought.....but enough of that negativity please :0) anyone had a diff go? Make any noises like that? @steve, I'll keep that in mind if it turns out to be bad news. Cheers

15. Would you definitely say it's the gearbox? Nothing else to check first? It drives just as it did before, no jumping out of gear or clutch slipping, never struggle to select gears either. It's just the noise and vibration through the clutch pedal.

16. Gear box mount ?

17. Ice noticed mine is pretty soft today. The one under the battery. Will change that first on mine I think. Maybe get a powerflow insert seen as they are pretty cheap. See how it goes after that.

18. What's the best way to check that mate?

19. You can get someone to watch it for movement when you drop the clutch in and out. I was doing my gear linkage so just pushed it when everything was out the way. Mine was very soft

20. Changed my mount and still there. I can only get it when on overrun, if I turn left it's there, turn right it goes. Spinning the wheel up I see my brake disc is binding a bit at certain points. Might get me disc skimmed and see if that helps?! Otherwise it may be the box?? Or diff?

21. Still no joy finding the noise can't understand how the noise is not consistent with wheel speed. It seems to be like half it....anybody sort theirs?