265 Grinding Noise On Cold Start

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by JlllCK J, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Hi All,

Anyone had this problem before on the mk3? I had it happen one morning about a month or so ago, and this morning. Had the car a few months, 2013 (63) 265 with 29.5k miles. No issues and been nothing but great except these 2 mornings for one second each time.

Reading online (can't see any other mk3 owners having the same issue) it could be starter solenoid/starter motor (or mounting)/flywheel. It's only happened on initial startup as it's turning over. I can't see it being the starter motor at 29.5k, and cannot see it being anything flywheel related due to the mileage and the previous owner covering 18k of the 29k who was a more "sensible" driver using it for motorway quite a lot. I can only see it being the starter solenoid or the mounting on the starter motor.

If anyone has any ideas or has experienced the same issue and has fixed, would be appreciated. I'd get a video of it but it's only happened twice so god knows when it will happen. May be just something to keep an eye on for now and look for a fix if it gets worse.

2. After all that, you have not said what's actually wrong with it, bar the title

3. Because I don't know what's wrong lol. All I know is the potential causes of the noise and that the noise doesn't sound right. Was just wondering if anyone has had similar problems, because it seems very odd on such a low mileage car

Egon1987 likes this.
  4. So it's making a grinding noise on idle? Not when the car is moving?

5. No not even idling, just from when I click the start button to when the car fires up. As soon as it fires up which does so quickly as normal, it's okay. It's just making the noise for the 1 second it spends starting up, and it's been twice in a month or so thus far

6. Could be starter motor, or something in that area

7. Yeah looks to be a relatively cheap fix for the starter motor or starter solenoid, so may start with the starter solenoid if it persists.

8. Sounds like dephaser, or the solenoid.

9. Yeah dephaser or solenoid.

10. Cheers guys

11. Could be lack of Oil at top of engine? Within 1 second of starting oil reaches the top off the engine?

You low on engine oil?

12. Naa mate did an oil change about a month or so ago. Granted I slightly overfilled first time but didn’t start it once and drained a bit out so now it’s 2 thirds of the way up between the min and max. It hasn’t happened since, very strange. Will keep this thread updated if it happens again and if I try fix it

13. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Mines done this the past few mornings only on a cold start, if you turn it off and start it again it doesn't do the grinding. It sounds like the starter isn't retracting from the flywheel quickly enough but if you have any findings let me know.