R26 Good News/Bad News (the money pit)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by eddie ninja, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Think I've missed the boat on that as the engines all done and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I now need to run it in and it won't be mapped but I want to get it done within a week.

So to double check with the below what approx max power am I looking at? Can I get a stage 2 map and it be reliable?

630 injectors
    Rebuilt engine including forged oversize pistons
    R26R clutch

Then if I stretch to an intercooler?

And yes it will be occasionally tracked.

TIA

2. Think I've missed the boat on that as the engines all done and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

I now need to run it in and it won't be mapped but I want to get it done within a week.

So to double check with the below what approx max power am I looking at? Can I get a stage 2 map and it be reliable?

630 injectors
    Rebuilt engine including forged oversize pistons
    R26R clutch

Then if I stretch to an intercooler?

And yes it will be occasionally tracked.

TIA

3. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

I'm on 309/325 with

Forged piston/rods
    250 turbo
    630cc injectors
    Forge intercooler
    Milltek 2.75 exhaust
    Induction set up
    Remap

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

4. Nice. But I can't justify a new turbo/rods/exhaust now - maybe next year.
    What's my best route now?
    Intercooler and stage 2 remap?

5. matt e

Yeah intercooler and people say 300ibft is the limit of the standard rods. Best of speaking to andy when you pick it up and see what his opinon is

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

eddie ninja likes this.
  6. I'm no expert, but from what I understand and have been told by experts, I'd expect 280bhp and something over 300lb/ft. Before I had the 250 turbo, R26r clutch, SMF and 630 injectors mine was running 270bhp comfortably, and 300lb/ft. I was told that with the bigger injectors I'd gain around 10bhp.
    Great to hear you've got it sorted mate, enjoy!!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

eddie ninja likes this.
  7. Forgot to say, 270bhp was with an Airtec 95mm intercooler, 3" turbo back exhaust with sports cat and induction kit.

8. Totally agree with that! Paul at RS Tuning told me that mine is on the limit now at 302bhp, 303lb/ft on standard internals. If I want more it's gotta be forged. Every time I take it out I pray nothing goes bang, but so far, so good!

eddie ninja likes this.
  9. mine was 285/300, had the rods done and 250 turbo, 315/340, makes a nice difference, it was having the clutch sorted at the time , so a bit easier to sort at the same time.

eddie ninja likes this.
  10. Nearly everytime I've taken mine out up to now something has gone bang! lol

11. Yea I'm thinking I'm happy for now with whatever a remap and intercooler will give me and add/upgrade later.

Si271 likes this.
  12. You're starting again from an enviable position now tho mate! Happy days brother!

eddie ninja likes this.
  13. So emailed + called rstuning for an alternative quote and based on my spec they said that I could get 280bhp without anything added but for 300 need an rs250 turbo or hybrid but recommended the rs250 route if I only want 300.

So do I even need an intercooler for 280?

#contraversial

14. Depends what you're going to use it for and your definition of 'need'. OEM will work, but a bigger one will sink and get rid of more heat. Bigger one might... might let give you a bit more power but mainly it's just going to let you maintain a lower intake temp.

If I were in your position, with all your hassle with it I'd stick with what you have for now because in the grand scheme of things changing a fmic is a doddle you can deal with later once it's working.

Si271 and sunnylunn like this.
  15. Agree with the above - you don't need a bigger intercooler to make that power, but to sustain it for any period of time on track you'll need it! First track day I did at Donington when the car was standard I saw intake temps rise to 50 degrees above ambient really quickly. With a 75mm Airtec cooler it's nothing like this bad - maybe 20 degrees over ambient at the worst.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    eddie ninja and ultralight like this.
  16. 70mm or 95mm????

17. Airtec only do a 70mm or 95mm. For the extra £50 the 95mm makes more sense [emoji3]

18. I went 70mm. Less lag, less weight and loads more cooling power than the stock cooler.

eddie ninja likes this.
  19. I'd still go 95mm! More cooling, and as for the lag.....is it really noticeable?!

20. No idea mate, I didn't buy them both and test them back to back. Just paid my money and made my choice!

21. Will be 2nd car/fun/occasional TD.
    I need the remap so may aswell get the intercooler put in same time as it's one less thing I'll need to put in when it comes to upgrading the turbo next spring or next week (keep changing my mind :-)

I can live with 260-270 bhp for now.

22. Fair one bro!

23. Good call eddie!! Which cooler are you going for mate? Regarding turbos......initially I was going for a hybrid, but Paul from RS Tuning asked if I was looking at forging the engine. At the time, I wasn't, so he recommended the 250 turbo as it spools up faster than the hybrid. Now I'm definitely gonna go forged engine, so am looking at hybridised 250 turbo minimum, or balls out, and go for the big spec, big turbo, big empty bank account and my other half hating me!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

eddie ninja likes this.
  24. er the cheapest one? lol. Prob whatever ED have got. It's such a learning curve.
    I would like to go to RS as it seems the most well known/recommended but it's sooooo far away in not the most economical car.
    ED have had £ 5.5k out of me since April so Andy needs to sort me out a fat discount :-)

25. Where are you based mate? I'm on the south east coast and had to decide between a 3 1/2hr drive to Ktec or a 5hr drive to Leeds to RS Tuning. I'd choose the longer drive up to Leeds every time having been to both. I had good service at Ktec, but far better at RS Tuning. Paul, the owner up there was far friendlier, obviously knew more about the cars and was more interested about doing a good job and the right thing for the customer than making a profit!!! Not only that, from what most people say, he's the best in the business at mapping a Megane! His workforce are obviously well clued up, friendly and more than happy to have you in the workshop to talk you through what they're doing. Can't recommend them enough!!!!

eddie ninja likes this.
  26. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

^^^^ as he said, i drove up there from Plymouth, such a great guy.

27. I'm in Hertfordshire and ED is 1 hr and RS 4hrs. I'm happy with ED - it's more mixed emotions at things breaking and me shelling out to get repaired/upgraded vs getting a quicker, better car.

I was emailing RS and a girl called cara was replying. When I called on phone yesterday a guy answered (not paul) who was a bit dismissive.

To be fair Mark Fish is 20 mins away and I should give them a go - seem more about race cars tho.

#1stWorldProblems

28. matt e

mark fish doesn't remap cars and he's mega money!! i was happy with the service from engine dynamics. when i got my engine rebuilt by them i got a discount on the remap

eddie ninja likes this.
  29. a
    and me ..from north devon..map been on there 7 years..never missed a beat....270hp/285lb/ft

30. You guys must like motorway service food lol

31. ianplymouth

Ha Ha Ha NOT one bit, bag of tangtastics, bottle of squash and foot down, only stopping for a wee :laughing:

eddie ninja likes this.
  32. Do what the lorry drivers do and use the bottle after finishing it.....saves stopping. Then sling it out of the window!!!!! Dirty buggers

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Si271 likes this.
  33. I would rather have a long term safe tuned engine,from arguably the best renault tuner in the country.
    Than take a chance on a more local tuner.
    and the 7 years of hard driving has proved his reputation.

But sometimes you are not safe even with so called`big names`..bluefin..Ktec..dare i say.

So many horror storys around.
    My mates Integra DC2.He spent a fortune on a forged 2.2 from a local engine builder..never ran right,and scored the bores.
    He then put in a turbo`d 2.3,with a`safe` base map from a big name in the honda tuning world.

Seemed as if it was running ok,but when he took it a long way to get it set up on a rolling road,the base maps fueling was all over the place.

Another mate just built a mk2 golf gti with a turbo leon engine swap.
    local tuner set it up,saying the fueling was spot on..even plastered it all over there web site how`smooth` it was running.

He then drove it up to a big name in the VW scene,who said it was horribly over fueling, and the intercooler was dangerously un-efficient!

so who do you trust with your expensive engine?..almost pay your money and take your chance..

Si271 likes this.
  34. I had mine mapped at Ktec, it was then running 270bhp and 300lb/ft. A while later I took it to RS Tuning for a 250 turbo, 630's, R26R clutch and SMF. As soon as it went on the rolling road Paul asked who had previously mapped it cos the map was total sh1t!!! ...........Ktec!!! RS all the way for any more work I have done!

35. Thing is Andy at ED said the same about the existing map on my r26. I doubt any tuner in the history of tuning has ever complimented the previous one. ;-)

Si271 likes this.
  36. Ok. Advice (more) please.
    I'm not totally comfortable with decatting the car from a tree-hugging/save the whales angle but know I need to do that for more power/if upgrading turbo.

What other mods can I do without a decat that will give me more power? (yea I've got sucked into the whole more gee gees hunt)
    TIA

37. As a refresh got the r26r clutch, engine rebuild with forged pistons, 630 injectors and will have upgraded cooler and map looking at 260-270bhp.
    Can't really lose weight as meant to be a viable 2nd car.

38. ianplymouth

I think if you are worried about being a good tree hugger perhaps you need to buy a Twizzie or such like.
    I have a question, how many times have you been on a plane ?????

39. ianplymouth

Tuning the engine for more power so it will use more fuel and more pump out more pollutants, so tree hugging taking a back seat then :laughing:

40. You're just being snarky cos your engine went pop like mine ;-)

Give us a serious answer tho - what increase can I get without going the way of the decat?