Golf 7 R

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Brands' started by josh250, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Anyone had any experience with these yet? One of my mates works for VW and took me out in it and to be honest it was incredible!
    Effortless power grip and refinement and the noise was awesome.

Ive had a few contract hire deals come through and I am tempted just to have a change from the megane.
    Its less than my monthly payments for a brand new car, just wonder how it will compare.

I do love the meg tho :worried: but the older and more mileage it gets the more its going to cost me !

Just fancied a bit of a change !

Any thoughts?

2. Sounds great,goes great, built great - but looks pretty much like any other boring golf bar the wheels and exhausts. That's personal opinion tho, if you like the look of it go for it. It's certainly a much better financial prospect than a Meg, a couple of people on a forum I use got one on lease for under £275 a month a while back.

3. Yeahhh I totally agree meg gets so much attention and I love that about it!
    If I get one it would have to be in lairy colour I'm thinking red or blue . Yeah you're right that's how much they are so it seems pretty good ! Should be better in the snow too haha

4. Golf doesn't look good enough for me. Personally I would go for EVO X or STi if you need more grip. They look more spectacular then VAGs.

5. I'm not looking for that kind of thing just fancy a change and havent been german yet so thought it would be a good change. But yes I agree thats always been the worst things about golfs that they are too plain!

6. Boy at work had a golf r 380bhp easily he had launch control aswell but my god it went through the gears before u no it ur in 6th. Flyn mechine

7. seen an apr tuning vid.. remap brings the 0-60 in 3.8 sec?

epic imo.

8. I love the Golf R but I just cant get along with those quad exhaust pipes, they are terrible.

Only the inside two seem to suit up as well which looks a bit mikey mouse if its not been washed for a while.

We had a MK5 2.0tdi and I loved it, probably one of the best all round cars we've had to be honest.

Go for it !!!

9. It's certainly the car of the moment and I personally love the subtle Q car approach. I also, shamefully, like the quad exhausts, reminds me of the epic E60 M5.

I'd have one if it wasn't for A) I still have two years of finance on my meg and B) Every time I read a shoot out review in the mags it's always pitched against the 265 and they ALWAYS pip the meg over the golf.

10. When I went on the Evo grouptest and donated my Meg there was a Golf R.

A lot of the reviewers didnt get what it was about till they drove it.
    then they got it

It seems like a bit more of a sensible Meg. Very quick and sounds great.

11. Cheers guys yeah I think I may go for it . Have to wait til November for delivery tho but that's fine I can enjoy meg for a few months more . That means there will be a tasty ff oyster grey with cup chassis and Xenons for sale soonish . Immaculate too

12. Where you buying the VW from?

13. Wow 100mph in under 10 seconds and a quatre mile in the low 12s. This thing may not be as capable in the corners but I reckon it'd wipe the floor with a 265, both being stage one.

14. indeed. its appears to be a very capable car but on track i think the megane has all its rivals.

15. Just online couple of places with good deals on contract hire .

16. What's the mileage cap on it? Obviously they won't let you remap it?

17. It's 10k per year but new job I'm starting I'll be on the train commuting for a while. And it's only 6p a mile if you go over. Nah well they wouldn't know if you did and had it taken off before it went back now would they haha

18. Pretty sure they would if they plugged it in, ever heard of a flash count? Still what they gonna do?

19. They could in theory reject the vehicle back?

20. Yeah I suppose they could but to be honest I haven't mapped meg so might not even bother !

21. The PH article is worth a read on the golf mate

22. Cheers mate that was an interesting read! So many pros and cons :worried:. Still pretty keen though it has to be a shouty colour tho red or blue !
    I am gonna go drive one tomorrow hopefully so i'll see what I think.

23. Right I'm stuck in a proper dilemma what would you guys do ?! Get the golf save a very small amount of money per month , don't pay any tax insurance slightly less etc. Or keep the megane which I love and really don't know if I want to part with it although it's 4 years old with 43k miles . Ugh I don't know haha!

24. I had one before, had it in the meg that is. There was an R32 as well which was even easier but at least it sounded good.
    R32 plus supercharger would tempt me more. It even looks better.

25. Still just no idea what to go with!

26. That remapped 0 - 60 time sounds mega but TBH unless you're planning on taking it drag racing how often are you going to use it? On track I bet the 4WD makes no difference. In fact, I know it makes no difference, because the new Meg is not only faster than all the other FWD hatches but the 4WD and RWD ones too, it's just that the magazines didn't mention it.
    I wonder how many times you can launch it before something expensive breaks?
    Will we have a shit winter though? I considered an R32 before buying the Meg (came down to running costs) and videos of it launch in the snow are impressive.

27. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Are you planning on doing lots of track days?

If not, Golf R over the Megane every time faster point to point UK car easy. Espcially with out typical UK weather. Just make sure you get it with the optional Pretoria 19" wheels as they look 100x better!

28. No I'm not planning on doing lots of track days haven't even done any in meg yet and had it for over two years !
    Really? I think the standard wheels look pretty awesome ! But I'm stuck in two minds as I love the rarity and attention the megane gets !

29. Seems like its too soon to move on.

I had an itch when I had my 197 Cup but I still loved the car. In the end I gave in and sold it, then looked for a decent Megane to track and used the rest of the cash...

I still miss that little 197 Cup today !

Dont change the Megane unless your sick of it and absolutly feel you need to change it, these Renaultsports get under your skin for some reason.

30. How about keeping the meg and getting a stg 1 remap?... You get more power and keep the meg ;-)

31. I am going to hunt down the next person that refers to a change of a car part / map as a stage.

32. On track the Leon and Golf R are pretty even, a race off the line the Golf obviously wins due to traction.

http://youtu.be/K5dRujiHbpA

Mines has cost me a few quid of late and I've been tempted to change but nothing really jumps out with out spending silly money.

33. Yeah this is the problem there's so many benefits to doing it but then I think I'll miss the megane or be heartbroken to sell it haha . It literally is a 50 50 decision !

34. Why is that andy?

35. Primarily due to me being in a bad mood. So please dont take it personally, Marten.

Second reason is a "stage" doesnt describe anything. Its old school tuner speak for we are selling you stuff and you dont know what its doing.

36. im in the same boat looking at the Golf R, Audi S3 and a 275 Trophy, having my RS250 24,000 service done on the 19th, going to see what sort of money I can beat them down to on the Megane, Renault have some package deal going on till September. Still love the way the Megane drives, be bloody hard to move away.

37. Have you actually test driven the golf yet?

38. No mate, not yet, only sat in and made mmmmmmmmmmmm noises in both the Golf and the S3, like the look and the inside of the S3 over the Golf tell you the truth, I would think they drive very much the same to.

39. I took the plunge today ! I was fed up of thinking about it so I just made a decision and went for it. Ive got a couple of months until it comes anyway so can have fun in the Meg for a while longer :smile:. Will be sad to see it go but nice to try something new.

I drove the DSG at the weekend and it was pretty impressive although when I got back in the megane it didn't feel much slower.
    Ive gone for a manual 3 door in the Lapis Blue. best colour in my opinion. As its on lease it wasnt worth putting loads of options on it and it comes with more than enough as standard !