225 Gearstick flopping backwards and forwards, not moving left to right

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by justin.accurate, May 4, 2014.

1. I just replaced the handbrake in my cup (button release was not working) and drove round the corner to the shops, happily selecting gears

When I was reversing into a spot, and tried to select first to straighten up, I couldnt - it was stuck in reverse. When I looked under the gaitor, pulling the collar up was not raising the plastic bit high enough to get over the reverse protector if that makes any sense.

Called the RAC out who said that moving the stick up and down did nothing to the linkages in the engine bay, but he did put it in gear for me so I could drive home (He said 2nd or first I think he put it in 5th or 6th lol!)

I've had a quick search on the internet for the floppy gearstick symptom but cannot find anything. Any ideas?

2. sounds like a snapped gearbox cable..what year is your car?..has your gear selection been stiff and non-centering??

3. it could be self centering, as his front/back movement is gone and that is the reason he couldn't pull it left (after pushing forward) to disengage the reverse, so his front/back cable is snapped and not left/right

4. Cheers guys. Car is 2006. It has always felt a bit crap, really lose and wishy washy not at all satisfying in the great change but this is the only Meg I've driven so i kinda assumed normal.

After talking to a mechanic friend we have come to the same conclusion; snapped cable and just a coincidence that I was working near the selector box. Think I've put out into 3rd or 4th now, so can get it to a local garage. I might dabble a bit and even replaced a rad on my gti6 but don't fancy that job myself; roughly 2 hours?

5. first make sure the cable has not become detached from the linkage..its a clip that slips over a ball stud..people dont realise you need to push the sides of the clip to disengage the `jaws`..so the cable can be lifted of..what they do is prise it off with a screwdriver,breaking the jaws,so the clip just sits there unsecured..i have seen many come off..check this first,although the RAC guy should have spotted it.

6. Both cables felt secured to the gearbox. Moving the stick back and forth has no effect on any cables in the engine bay.

7. Another thing that I'm wondering, to start the car I needed to press the clutch and brake even when it was in neural, I spoke to a mate who had a standard diesel Meg and he said his was just brake (as per dash instructions). So maybe something not right when I got it

8. to snap a cable is unusual,unless its chaffing in the engine bay somewhere,or your actuator is really tight putting big stain on the cable..but if that was the case,the gear selection would have been very stiff.

9. Been reading through a bunch of threads on both forums, I can see you've had a lot of dealings with linkages Andrew :smile: Some threads make me crap myself about costs, so scared its going to be a gearbox issue.

OK so theres two linkage cables, one has a blue end (lower down) one has grey and red. Which one is for left/right stick movement?

What is the easiest way to select first or second gear from in the bay?

10. i will put up a pic later..but if both your clips are definitely connected to your linkage,then it could be the gearstick end...you might have to remove the covering inside the car to see if the cable has disconnected/snapped...never had one go inside the car,so not familiar with the attachment to the gearstick.

It tough to guess were the linkage has to be for the correct gear, without the car being infront of someone.

someone like mark black on here ,could give you the answer regarding cable/gearstick attachment

11. Looked at it again with a friend, I was being a bit of a numpty as when the red linkage is in the middle position you can move the gearstick left and right, and you can see the blue linkage moving. Of course it would not move left and right if it was in gear!

Absolutely nothing happens when moving back and forth on the stick, and there is little resistance when you move the red linkage on the gearbox. I am now certain its a snapped cable or something has disconnected under the gearstick.

I'm gonna tie this in with getting the injectors cleaned which *was* the top job on my list but now I know its gonna be off the road a little while and that its probably not a failed gearbox i feel a bit happier.