Gearshift stiff

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Forceindia, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Did a trackday at Spa last week. No problem immediately after, but this morning the shift seems stiff in the 3rd/4th plane. No crunching, no other issues.
    Any help/ideas appreciated!

2. What megane is it?? And what box, with or without lsd

3. R26

4. Had another drive today. Seems to be 4 th that's the issue

5. I think one of the bushes in the actuator can get a little stiff, andrewjeffs does re conned ones i think, or you can file the bush down slightly yourself, it normally presents itself as a non self centering gear stick though

6. Across neutral it's fine, no stiffness across the gate.

7. The only way to know for sure is to remove your actuator and hone out the bush a fraction...the bush swells over the years and when hot grabs the shaft that runs through it causing resistance.
    I have known even what appears to be free actuators still causing problems when hot.

If its really tight it wont self centre inside the car..this is usually older cars..but its creeping into the later models now as they age.

8. steve 1 on here has a actuator for sale..PM him to save you messing around with drills.

9. Right, have changed actuator and the issue remains, if anything it's slightly worse. Problem is 4th gear, very stiff going into and out of gear. No crunching, it's the same whether hot or cold, double clutching makes no difference, and feels the same even when cars turned off.
    Any ideas?

10. Have you checked the cables over, one of my mates had something similar on his MR2 the outer sheath had cracked and allowed the cable to corrode, this only affected 4th and reverse.
    only other thing is to change the box oil.