225 Gearbox weight

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by TurboJ, Jun 1, 2019.

1. How much does the ND0 gearbox weigh? Even a figure of an R26 gearbox would help as I'm sure the locking diff doesn't affect the total weight by a huge margin.

2. Renault claims 48 kg without oil.

3. my renualt tech thinks over 60kg janne...basically bloody heavy.

4. But weighs less than PK4 though.

5. Hmm. Maybe two trolley jacks and some care about dropping the box then. If it's 48 kg it's still beyond my current level of strength... If it's 60 kg then I'll have to get inventive for sure (not to mention be bloody right about the clutch having been set correctly when it's time to put the box back on! Wish me luck guys :smile:

6. OK. Just read through the Renault manual again and when removing the gearbox you're supposed to have the engine supported from above using a support tool that sits between the upper beams and hooks to the engine lifting hook with a chain; something like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=eng...KHWLgCf4QsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=_

Now my question is do you guys all use something like that or can you get away by supporting the engine just from below when removing the gearbox? The gearbox mount is obviously one of the "upper" supports when things are in place and when the subframe along with the lower engine support has been removed, it only leaves the main engine mount and the small dogbone mount in place (both at the other end looking from the side where the gearbox sits).

7. Yep, should be 48 kg, according to Renault spec.

Gearboxes.jpg

8. i
    interesting..even lists the max torque per box!