250 Gearbox sound around 50mph

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Charlie Howard, Aug 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

I'm getting an odd noise around 50-80mph in my car, it almost sounds like a plane taking off. Like the video below but no way near as loud. I've something about gearbox bearings with this car, definitely can't afford a new box at the moment so is there any harm in leaving it? Or would a gearbox oil change do the trick?

2. Other have had this noise, new gearbox time

3. You seem to have endless problems :tongueout:

4. Maybe it's time for Haynes to make a manual just for Charlie :tearsofjoy:

Genty likes this.
  5. Charlie Howard

It's barley noticeable compared to that video. I refuse to put a new gearbox on a car that's done 38k that's ridiculous.

I know I'm getting fucking bored of it if I'm honest. I had nothing but issues after owning my 225 for 9 months and then it blew up. I've not actually had any major issues with this one but everytime I start it I feel like it could be the last time.

6. Charlie Howard

If its a bearing I don't see why it can't be refurbished.

7. Semtex had the same problem, refurbed the gearbox £800. Another lad had is go on a 275 with 22k on it. Was under warranty so Renault stuck a new gearbox in. Bill was just under £2000

8. Charlie Howard

A lot of money to pay if its all in my head though. Just went for a drive with my girlfriend and she could barley hear it. Said it was just wind. I can barley hear it to be honest.

9. That's not wind noise. If you drop the box and the clutch is not far off due replacement your bill can soon be £1200

10. Charlie Howard

That's not my video, I've recorded mine below and you can't hear it. All you can hear is the exhaust. Like I've said mine is extremely quiet, I just chose that video because it's a similar sound, albeit not the same, and I don't know how to explain it.

11. leave it, if it does develop into a proper worn gear sound (whine) there are some fablouse oil additives out there now that will shut to nosiest boxes for thousands of miles

12. Charlie Howard

Yeah, I think I'll do that, I may be changing the cat which means I'll have to change the gearbox oil anyway.

13. Not sure can see connection between the two but anyway new oil is always good

14. Charlie Howard

Drive shaft has to come out to change it which means no more oil!

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Mine was noisy from about 35k as well, until it got so bad the box was scrap, New box in it now and have done about 60k on that one, Its getting noisy again so im fully expecting a rebuild in the not so distant future.

16. Shaft out is minimal loss can also tip car up drivers side help gain access and hold back oil, but yes still change oil anyway

17. Charlie Howard

So basically it's replace now or later?

18. Box or oil ?

19. Charlie Howard

The box

20. Like I said, why bother, wait till proper not then and do clutch same time

21. Charlie Howard

Well that's what I mean, is it just a car of replace now or later because why not get some more life out of this one.

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Its not going to fail if thats what you mean.

id keep driving it til it gets properly bad, Then either get it rebuilt or get another box.

Gearboxes in them are shit, Its from a van LOL

23. Yup mine had a refurb - New bearings at 55k . It went from fairly quiet to annoying enough to do something in a few k . Box oil is pretty expensive to drain again a few weeks later so I’d wait until you just get it fixed properly tbh.

24. Charlie Howard

Well, I'll see how loud mine gets and then possibly refurb it. Anyone in the south you suggest I take it to when I need to?

Why is the gearbox so bad? You think when implementing an LSD they could have just made a decent gearbox. Does the R26 gearbox not fit it?

25. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Why would they go to the extreme of making a new gearbox for a fairly low run car when they have loads lying about. Sure it might even be a Nissan box originally

26. Charlie Howard

Yeah I get your point but didn't they design a gearbox specifically for the R26?

27. Charlie Howard

People that had this. Does the sound stop if put the clutch in? I put the clutch in while coasting at 50 and the sound stayed the same.

28. Gearbox on these cars (from 250 to 275) is the PK4 gearbox that also fit diesel 2.0dci and vans (traffic, vivaro...) its on shed lots of cars/ vans, it can handle up to 400Nm torque by design

Had mine fully refurbed, new bearing from 123bearing with full metal cages, sychros reground byt a company called Geartech in kidderminster, they do these refurb on the PK4 variants all day long, all in for £300 incl VAT.

really happy with the work and highly recommend them.

-Jamie- likes this.
  29. Charlie Howard

Was yours the LSD version though? £300 including fitting?

30. no LSD, but changing a bearing is the same on a simple diff or LSD, you do not need to open the Diff to change the bearings

31. by the way i supplied all the bearings myself (£174) plus the £300 refub,=£474

32. Charlie Howard

Right okay, and that's fitted to the car? Got a link to all the bearings?

33. no i delivered the gearbox to them and pick it up 2 weeks later, they just round the corner from me (about 20 Miles)
    I have but i cannot attach links to a file unless it is on the net already, PM you email i'll email it to you, Bear in mind that the LSD version might have different bearings for the end ratio (diff itself)

34. Charlie Howard

Well, I ask because I'm pretty sure it's the diff making the noise and not the actual gearbox.

35. Charlie Howard

The more I listen the more I think it's a wheel bearing. Problem is my girlfriend says she can't hear it, typical, and it's too dangerous for me to lean over and listen so gonna have a mate come for a drive tomorrow and see. But I'm now pretty sure it's coming from the front left wheel.

36. thats what I thought with my one except the right wheel so replaced it and lo and behold the noise was still there, oh and by the way my wife says she couldn't hear anything either :confounded:

37. Charlie Howard

Well I'll get my friend to listen and try and pinpoint where it's coming from first, but at £70 for the bearing it's not a massive deal. I really hope it is that.

38. What was your outcome with this?

How much would a garage charge to remove and refit a box?

39. Charlie Howard

I left it and the sound has gone away lol so no idea

40. Oh that's good news!. Mine seemed to whine a little. Gonna change the oil in it this week and keep an eye on it.

Hefty bill if it shits itself completely!