R26 Gearbox Options

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by TimR26, Aug 21, 2016.

1. TimR26

TimR26 South Central RSM Area Rep

I'm looking to upgrade my R26 gearbox to cope with the extra power it's now running.

Is it possible to buy a strengthened gear set or swap the gearbox with a stronger one from another manufacturer?

I know on the Clio 172/182 a popular upgrade for JC5 gearbox is to replace it with a VAG 02M gearbox.

I managed to lose 5th gear at Goodwood yesterday hence this post.

2. Paul at RSTuning was talking to me about gearboxes. Be worth enquiring with him as they have a lot of experience updating/swapping boxes for 500bhp+

Out of interest what power/torque are you running?

3. TimR26

Hi, my engine is running 330bhp and 360lbft. RS Tuning built the engine so was planning on phoning Paul on Monday for advice.

4. When i was last at RS tuning from memory they were in the process of making the required alterations to fit a vag box to a customers megane.

I think that had close to 400bhp before deciding enough was enough.

5. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

6. TimR26

Yes, that's an option for the R26 box. It's a bit of an unknown how effective it will be though.

My box has been rebuilt twice now so I'm wondering if I should cut my loses with this one and get new box fitted.

7. I always thought these boxes were pretty strong from what ive read, in comparison to the clios, 3rd box in not long from memory? Is this the norm when pushing your kind of power? Or just ( more ) bad luck on your behalf?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

8. TimR26

It's the original gearbox but has been rebuilt several times. This will be fourth time it's needed work so it's definitely bad luck.

I'm not aware of any other big power R26's having gearbox issues.

I can select 5th and lift clutch while engine is running but nothing happens. I'm hoping it's a selector fork problem as otherwise that would suggest all the teeth have been torn off 5th gear.

9. Fuck me! You really do have bad luck, fair play to you for sticking with it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

10. TimR26

Tell me about it lol!!

11. TimR26

I spoke to Paul at RS Tuning this morning. There is no option for strengthening the box and to use a VAG 02M gearbox you need a Clio bottom end.

12. How come you need the Clio bottom end? Is it just bolt spacing? If so could you not drill and tap the engine, that's what they do to the Meg engines to accept the jc5

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

13. TimR26

I don't know the reason why but Paul said it wouldn't be cost effective.

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

What about the MK3 box?

15. You thought about buying a new box from Renault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Tim it will be the thick end of 2k for a replacement box from Renault exchanged, but at least it will give you piece of mind

17. May be worth giving scoff a ring as the adaptor plate for the 02m box just says for f4r engines not clio specifically.
    http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?productID=346
    If my memory serves, didn't scoff design/ help in the first transfer as well?

I'd be very surprised if its not doable

TimR26 likes this.
  18. Depending what Renault he gets it from it'll £1200-£1700, I paid £1200 for mine plus with 2 years warranty if anything does happen it'll be go back to them

19. Good to know didn't realise there would be such a variance between dealers

worth shopping around

20. Indeed Renault Wolverhampton were £1700 Renault Portsmouth were £1400 but managed to get it down to £1200

TimR26 and Guy1 like this.
  21. TimR26

I didn't think they fit. Is it not just the 175 that shares same gearbox with the mk3?

Yes, it's an option depending on what's wrong with my gearbox.

I got a quote somewhere between £1700 or £1800 a couple of years ago.

I've sent an email off to EFI. Thanks for suggestion.

When was that and does £1200 include VAT? That's much cheaper than I've found before.

22. March this year and that was including vat, through Seward Renault in Portsmouth

23. TimR26

Thanks, I'll give them a call if I need a new box.

Just-that-ek likes this.
  24. So there arent any aftermarket gearboxes? Like there is quaife diff?

25. TimR26

Not as far as I'm aware. I'm sure if you had the money anything would be possible but it's not cost effective compared to a new gem gearbox.

26. TimR26

Oem not gem!

27. Thanks, yeah it makes sense. :smile:

TimR26 likes this.
  28. Hi guys, has anything changed on this in terms of options for a stronger R26 box? I'm currently sat in the Devils Diner at the ring after my gearbox shat itself on lap 2 this morning. I'm now able to select first and reverse but there's definitely something rattling around in the box, so she's coming home on a trailer! @TimR26 what did you end up doing?

29. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ah man that sucks, especially with the cracking weather!

John Burley with the black sheep has sorted something with his gearbox to stop it shitting itself, worth a message on eBay as I don't think he frequents here much

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Sorry, not eBay, Facebook.

31. I know mate! Thank god I got some decent track time in yesterday. Cheers for the tip.

32. TimR26

I had my gearbox rebuilt with genuine parts as there isn't an economical alternative. I haven't tested it on track yet though so don't know if it'll fail again.

33. Bugger!

Had my box shit itself on the way back from Anglesey on Monday... going to have it dropped and split to see the damage, but it was pretty spectacular when it went at-speed and resulted in all the fluid being thrown out the back and lots of loud grinding sounds! The box was locked in 3rd and lots of crunching when it was winched onto the recovery truck with the clutch dipped.

It sounds like i might need to find another box and then a gripper or quaife diff if that's mashed.

34. Daz

Daz

Are Mk3 boxes supposed to be stronger?

I know it's not cost effective for you but are we looking at mk3 bottom ends with mk3 boxes in the future?

35. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

36. What an absolutely useless solution when you can just fit the mk3 engine.....

Mk3 boxes are supposed to be weaker btw.....

37. You'd like to think the mk3 box is pretty reliable on the basis it's being retained for the manual mk4, the trophy running 300/300 out the box

38. The nd0's aren't particularly unreliable either

39. The PK4-PF6 gearbox as fitted in MK3 is good for 400Nm torque