225 gearbox oil service

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by denbers, May 4, 2014.

1. got some new oil for the meg. is it easy enough to change or am i better off gettin the garage to do it? im quite savy wi servicing a car so if its not too hard ill give it a shot.

cheers

2. Easy mate ... Only task is filling it back up . I've got a oil pump which makes it easy

3. Get some hose pipe feed it from the top.

4. Is it part of service? I don't have it on a print which I was given from Renault. If yes, how often it is necessary to change gear box oil?

5. It's apparently not supposed to be changed but after seeing the condition of mine last weekend I'm glad I did. I'm going to do it every year from now on. Can't do any harm.

6. D

7. were abouts is the plug?

8. Remove passenger side arch liners and the rusty metal plate and it's behind there :smile:

9. Naith

Naith RSM Admin

Lol at rusty metal plate I was looking at mine yesterday. Think I'll get it powder coated as I'm turning into a cleanliness whore.

10. It's shocking. I reckon it's made out of a recycled French WW1 tank. I'm going to paint mine too. I know you can't see it but it's annoying knowing it's there lol.

11. I mine changed after six years without and the difference in gear change was remarkable.

12. What oil are ppl using/recommend?

13. I used the Renault stuff. Got it from Ads.

14. I used ELF last year which is pretty good

Last week I swapped mine for Fuchs Sintofluid which I would say is a smoother change than the elf

15. I bought 2L of Motul 75w-80 and looking to change it this weekend.

Just a case of taking the bung out under the car, is that an 8mm square like most Renaults?

Then remove arch liner, rusty metal plate and fill up from there using some pipe?
    As for full level make sure car is flat and fill up till it starts poring out the fill up plug?

What's the fill up plug held on by? Butterfly nut?

Also did anyone replace the washer on the gearbox plug?

Thanks

16. Much like the sump plug, you should always replace copper washers. That said, oil isn't going to start pouring out if you don't.

17. i use 75w/90 with no issues

18. 10mm hex for the drain on the gearbox :wink:

19. I used Motul