250 Gearbox for a high power meg?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Barnett, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Maybe a silly question but how are people running 400+ bhp in a megane 250/265 when the advised max power output is 360bhp?

im curious as i may want to up the power in the future and dont want to be running the engine/gearbox to the limit.

is there a different box people are using or any strengthening of the standard gears?

Thanks

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Plenty MK3s running well over 400 on the stock box

3. So the box wouldn’t be the main concern with the power? More engine/clutch?

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yes, however it isn't cheap to do it properly on the Megane

5. Ye iv seen upratted clutches are silly money! But I guess I could save some money by rebuilding the engine myself.

6. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd be putting more power at the bottom of the list tbf, they don't need power to be fast, plenty Ring spec ones running under 8 mins on stock power

7. Ye I went this year didn’t get under 8 but got mid 8s for my first time in the meg. Ye I know iv already done the usual coilovers/rarb/wheels. What are others doing then to make these things handle better than they already do?