Gearbox drain plug

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ChrisC, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Hi,

Im hoping someone could confirm the size of the drain plug?
    I was looking to get a gold plug for my sump, so thought I'd get one for the gearbox too since I plan on a change of box oil in the next couple of weeks.
    Everywhere I have searched at work points it out to be a m16 with a 1.5mm pitch. And I've even checked the renault catalogue I have access to, and rang renault to make sure I wasn't being special and to to confirm it. That too said it was a m16 x 1.5.
    I can't remember who it was, but they had bought a gold plug of this size and it didn't fit it was too small, so I'm a bit unsure of what to do/which to order.

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

yeah that was me, its not m16 x.1.5 it fitted straight in to the hole

i think it must be 18 x.1.5

3. Did mine tonight. Don't know the size but it's the same as the engine oil sump plug.

4. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

5. Mine is a Mk 3. I don't know if yours is different (you havent stated which car - although from, your profile pic I'm now guessing it's a Mk 2??) but I 100% did mine last night using the same 8mm square sump plug I use to change the engine oil. Sorry.

6. Can't edit. Just noticed OP has an R26. That said, that other thread states that new g/box sump plugs are 8mm square. I would have both tools to hand IMO.

7. sorry for any confusion. Should have mentioned what model lol.
    Thanks for the input, the likely hood is it'll be an 18mm thread as you've said Matt. I'm sure they wouldn't just make one odd one haha. So I've ordered an 18x1.5 and a 16x1.5. Worst comes to worst I need to sell the 18mm one. Or if it is that least I can keep the smaller one for the engine sump. When I do that later in the year.

8. My gold plugs turned up quicker than I thought, so I had a bash at the gearbox oil today

i can confirm it is a M18 x 1.5mm thread. I ordered an AP-05 which fit perfect.

Cheapest place I found was scoobyparts.com too, £16 delivered with next day post. They are also looking to reduce the postage further from £3.95 with longer delivery times, like a 3 day option.

9. Opie oils have them for a similar price .. And with orders over 50 quid it's free postage .. Plus 10% discount too ... :smile:

10. What's the discount code for a £150 basket :-)

11. It's is MEGANE that should give you 10% off as a member of the other site :wink:

12. Thank in you :smile:

13. Glad I could be of help.. Not always the case lol