Gearbox actuator urgent help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Forceindia, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Fitting an actuator to see if mine is causing the shift problem I've been having. Reassembling everything, got all 4 bolts in to secure the actuator to the box. Everything fine, shift is good.
    As soon as I put the 14mm retaining bolt in the side, I can't select 1st or 2nd gear? Any help much appreciated, cars stuck atm!

2. Actually I only lose 1/2 when I start to tighten the 14mm bolt.

3. Just tried to refit original actuator, same thing happens. Wtf.

4. Might be the wrong bolt?

Has it always done it?

5. No. Same bolt, it's definitely the correct bolt. Never had a problem before. If I put the bolt in very loosely, it's fine. And by loosely, I mean very loosely, miles from sitting flush with tie box.

6. Had to abandon and get train home. That I'm getting the same issue now with the old actuator suggests it's something I'm doing wrong, but can't fathom what?

7. This is normally a problem caused by over tightening of the 14mm bolt..but you say it loose..i will speak to the chaps tmrow to see if they know what you have done.

8. As a temp measure I've stuck a couple of washers between the bolt and the box. Don't want to drive it until I know what's going on though.

9. Right..this is what you have done..i have sp[oke to the lad that fits all of mine.

On your 14mm bolt there should be a COPPER WASHER...which has obviously gone astray when you unbolted it from the gearbox.
    This explains why its working correct when you add your own washer..so without the washer the bolt is going in to far and jamming the mechanism.

look on the floor to try and find the washer..unless its got stuck somewhere underneath the car.

worst case,go to renault and buy a new washer.

10. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

It'll be sat on the lower arm

11. Any idea how thick the washer is? I've driven it home, so if it was there I doubt it is now! Thanks for the help, was on the verge of tearing what's left of my hair out.

12. dont know mate without taking a actuator out...hopefully renault parts dept can tell you

13. All sorted, just grabbed a pack of washers and after a bit of trial and error, job done.