Gear Linkage Removal

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by edddurrant, May 10, 2014.

1. Hi guys,

I am going to see andrew jeffs at some point to get my short shifter and linkage sorted, however i am skint from buying the car and have to spend £600 to get the belts done at the end of the month so this wouldn't be until end of june at the earliest and i don't want to stress the gearbox cables until then.

I want to change / fix the bush so its a temporary fix until i can get down to see andrew so please can someone help me on the removal of the linkage from the car, doesn't look to hard just want some tips from people who have previously done it.

just had the battery out and the air filter and you can see the bush is a state, if anyone can help with removal please refer to the below pictures

thanks

IMG_1764_zpsb378c6e7.jpg

IMG_1765_zpsea1fc937.jpg

IMG_1767_zpsa7526f3e.jpg

2. You need to remove the bolts on the top of the box you can see them clearly in your pic and there is a 14mm one on the side of the box just below the linkage then it just lifts out out
    have a look through this if you haven't already it's quite helpfull
    http://www.meganesport.net/shortergearshift.html

3. thanks a lot mate very helpful so its those 3 bolts then one on the side? also, in that guide there isn't a hosey cable thing like you can see on my picture going into / through my shifter , you can see this on the first pic I've posted. What is that?

4. that should not be were it is,and could be part of the reason why your shift is stiff..it could be restricting the linkage movement

5. your last pic.is exactly what you are working on...it does look very well worn.

6. this guide does not show the 14mm locking nut..its under the black hydraulic hose,going into the side of the gearbox..feel for it.then remove with 14mm spanner.
    You may find that with your actuator being so well corroded,it might not undo to easy,so be carefull.

7. hi andrew, thanks for your responses, much appreciated, so am i looking at 4 nuts in total or 5? Also, that bush will need replacing won't it, i don't suppose you know the size off hand?

8. I didn't see that on the one I did I don't know what it's for I think there's four on the top and the 14mm on the side five alltogether

in your last pic it's the white bit you can just see he arm on the bottom has a shaft running up through that white bush if you prise the clip of the top it will come apart easy you can ease the bush and maybe add a little grease and then it should work a treat just take your time it's sometimes helpfull to take pics so you can remember where everything goes back be carefull with the plastic clips that hold the cables on

9. If it's a temporary fix just drill the bush out with a ten mm drill bit that's how we did my mates car

10. i managed to get the top four bolts out no problem, however this 14mm one i cannot seem to find. I used my 14mm spanner to try to remove the big one on the side but the nut was a lot bigger so i couldn't.

i did find one towards to left side of the car which i removed and i have pictured below but i think this is the wrong one and the big one is the one that needs to come out, can anyone confirm?

The first picture is of the bolt i removed which i think was the wrong one and the second is where i think the correct one is. Is it the big one under the black plastic piece?

and YES that is my blood all over it :tongueout:

IMG_1778_zpscc014c46.gif

IMG_1782_zps9405eb50.jpg

11. It's the 14mm bolt as shown in this pic put your hand under this pipe and you will find it it looks like the one you have in your hand with an unthreaded bit on the end hope this helps

[​IMG]

12. This on a ph2 linkage but Its in the same place

13. That sounds like the one I remove because that was where it is, but I pulled up the whole shifter mechanism but it wasn't moving, moved around slightly. If you imagine your looking dead at the head of the bolt, would you be stood facing the left wing of the car? Because if so that's the one I removed. The one I thought it might be instead is on the other side, as in screwing in towards the front of the car if that makes sense

14. You have everything right, they have a rubber O-ring seal around the top of the linkage as it sits in the box.....it's tight so you have to get physical-physical, let's get phys.....oops sorry, give it a yank, it's made made of glass, it won't break lol,

the final bolt in question unscrews out wards towards the passenger side and is pretty much between the box and passenger inner wing.

15. yep..its been on for years..you will have to give it a good yank.

16. if you have the wrong bolt,the shifter will come up about a inch or so then stop..if you have the right one,it will come straight out

17. You have to be in neutral to be able to pulk up, if its is ij any gear it wont come out

18. Oh lol

19. Andrew do the exhaust and heat shield need removing to replace the whole cable mechanism ?

20. No you should be able to loosen the shield and slide cables behind, sorry to butt in too lol.

21. How does the gear stick come out of the bottom it looked like they were in the way when I looked any help appreciated

22. yo have to take off the shield to replace the cables , I don't see a method how would you disconnect from the gear stick mechanism without removing the shield

23. I need to change my cables as one of my clips got damaged and occasionally pops off I got another but it's all one unit including cables I'm just after a rough idea how to do it if it means dropping the exhaust I may just take it to the garage

24. I managed to get it out thanks for the tips

how do I get the bush out as there doesn't seem to be any head on the bolt to put an Allen or a torx bit Into. Also I read Somewhere that Teflon grease is good to use??
    Also should I re oil the bit that goes In the gearbox?

25. Prize this clip off carefully with a small flathead screwdriver then it will all come apart easy

[​IMG]

26. Just want to thank everyone for their response, finally got round to boring out the nylon bush and refitting and now works perfectly, many thanks to all!

Andrew i am still interested in the short shifter , will be in touch when the bank balance looks healthy!

27. has anyone got a fix for this that doesn't require replacing the cables? One of my clips was already half broken, it may hold just asking in case I have to do anything

28. nope..new cable im afaid..common problem

29. U know how to fit this Andrew ? Could you give me a rough idea thanks

30. Glad you got it sorted good as new ?

31. Yes mate thanks for the help, just a bit worried about the cable coming off, how badly was your clip broken?

32. Pretty badly I've managed to temp fix it for now

33. Absolutely brilliant info guys.

Took mine apart an hour ago and sorted out. The fix is easy I'd have presumed cables though if not for the info on here.

Information on this forum is second to none!

34. I've got a gear lever swap to do on a neighbours car. Can you remove the cables from the lever in the car or is it a complete unit with the cables attached. Also can you get the lever out of the bottom without removing the exhaust.
    Lee