Gas Bonnet Struts - How to fit?

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by SteveKozy, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Hi - does anyone have a guide how / where to fit those and the hardware needed.

I've seen e46 struts are commonly used and there was a thread with pics but its so old they are all gone.

I can see a kit on ebay for the r26 but its £50 and its just two struts and washers - i reckon i can do it much cheaper if i know how/where to mount it. Not that i can't figure it out by trial and error but a guide would be quicker.

Cheers

2. I've wanted some for mine for ages now, bought a set off one of the Facebook pages but a few parts were missing and no instructions.

Somebody on here used to sell them, think they were about £40/45 so the ones on eBay aren't massively expensive IMO, I'd have bought those you've mentioned if I hadn't just spent a small fortune on the car.

Problem is those who are selling them have done the trial and error, so are obviously making a profit on them and are usually reluctant to share their findings.

SteveKozy likes this.
  3. @matt e used to sell the kits and probably has instructions.

SteveKozy likes this.
  4. SteveKozy likes this.
  5. The length of the outer body of the strut is 23cm and the length extended when fitted is 42.5cm. That’s total length, so bit shorter between the fitting bolt centres. Spacer is 23mm and top bolt is 25mm threaded length.

SteveKozy likes this.
  6. Top has nut, small washer, bodywork, strut, large washer and bolt head on the outside. Bottom has bolt head strut, spacer, large washer, bodywork and I assume nut on the end that I can’t see.

SteveKozy likes this.
  7. chappers2000 likes this.