R26 G25-550 Turbo

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Paul ja, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Where would you recommend to get a G25-550 oil return pipe gasket

Need to order one tomorrow to arrive Tuesday

I was thinking of Owen Developments as my first call, anywhere else I should try ?

Thanks

2. Can't help on the gasket, but which variant of turbo did you go for? Internal or external Wastegate?

3. It has an external wastegate, its the RS Tuning kit

4. Ahh okay, how long have you ran it for?

There's an internal Wastegate version available which I'm looking to fit, but I'm not sure if there's space between the engine and bulkhead.

5. Theres not a lot of room, even sliding a turbo blanket in was a fiddle.

I'm sure Paul at RST will have looked at both options

The car has probably done 1500 miles on it, must confess we bought the car with the kit fitted

6. How do you find it?

Was speaking to a guy on Facebook yesterday who was trying to steer me away from it, reckons the lag is just shocking!

Where do you have your limiter set and what other supporting mods is it running?

7. Its fully forged etc, induction kit and 3" exhaust, we have a race set gripper diff also.

To be fair I haven't driven it that much, needs few jobs doing. When I have driven it I reckon it's not that bad, it's easy to drive on light throttle and picks up pretty quick. It has a boost controller with 3 set points so we have 350 / 400 / 450 BHP on RST rollers. @ 1.7 bar it did 480+ BHP, but was pegged back.

8. What boost control are you running?

I like the idea of being able to tone things down for wet weather running etc!

I'm looking at fitting catcams too, and being mostly driven on track, low end torque isn't really a big deal so boost at 4k isn't too off putting lol.

9. This is the basic list of mods

Wossner pistons
    Manley rods
    Catcams – 402
    Supertech Valves / springs
    Balanced crank
    RS tuning GT25 550 Turbo etc
    850 injectors
    OBP surge tank– 340L in tank pump – 450LPH pump in Surge tank
    Oil cooler
    Forge intercooler
    Eboost 2 Turbosmart boost controller
    Vibratechnics engine and gearbox mounts
    Ktech 3” SS exhaust system

All put together by RST

Once we have a few jobs completed we will give it its first outing in our hands

JJZ and Agreen like this.
  10. Nice!

Pretty much the build I'm going for so it'll be really good to hear how you get on with it!

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

That's a surprise, G25 is a super responsive turbo setup

Paul ja likes this.
  12. I guess if you've jumped straight out of a hybrid set up and into a g25-550, the additional lag will be quite noticeable?

From what I can see, you're hitting boost at around 3.5k revs and with the correct supporting mods, should be limited at around 7.5k revs, 4k of power band should be plenty imo!

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah that sounds about right and tbf it doesn't spoil that much later than a hybrid. Seen them on a few different cars now Inc a good mates A3 and it was making full boost well before 4k and holding it past 8k.

14. Do you know what housing size he has?

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'd need to find out, Infact he had a 660 before but downsized to a 550 as he has a power limit in the race series he's in so went for thr smaller more responsive setup

Agreen likes this.
  16. Paul, I don't suppose you could get a couple of photos of the turbo in place for me?

From what I can see, the internal Wastegate set up needs a little more space in the front so I'm thinking if i could have a manifold built that has the turbo sitting around 25mm further back it should go! Not sure if that 25mm is achievable though!

17. engine 2.jpg

Only one I have on the iPad

The turbo blanket just squeezes between the turbo and the heat shield (heat shield needs replacing I know !)

Not sure who makes the manifolds for RST, maybe Nortec - may be worth a chat with them

If you do it think about heat management before install, as we are finding there isn't much room when it's in.

JJZ likes this.
  18. Awesome mate, thank you!

Is the wrapped pipe underneath for the Wastegate?

19. No - when it was installed they didn’t heat wrap the down pipe - big mistake. We are going to see if we can get the down pipe off to wrap it - wish me luck !!

it would have been a great idea to Thermomet the lot including manifold but I guess that would have added £1000 to the bill

20. Did you manage to get this together and have a good test of everything?

I'm assuming you've had to hijack the boost solenoid to get the boost controller to work?

21. The turbo etc is in pieces at the moment, hopefully back together this week. I believe the boost controller came with a boost solenoid, you can see it to the right in the pic

Attached Files:

22. Thanks!

All of your experience with this is helping me with my build.