Full Throttle scare this morning

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by midnightrunner, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Hi All, well as above really, left home this morning and bumped into clio rs this morning real early, should have seen his face when my car decided to go full throttle and nothing I could do about it at first, trust me I will never slag the cold rev limitation again, luckily that helped to keep the revs down as I tried to control the car, keep my head clear and reach down to pull the throttle pedal back to normal, weird thing is once I did this it never gave me any trouble again all the way to work 35miles.

Trouble is now that it unnerves me, once in work I checked the smoothness of the throttle and its fine , does anyone know what it could be, is the throttle cable operated ??? or is it flybywire as I don't honestly know til I get home and check on my Dialogys, if it is a cable its not catching like a frayed cable does. maybe its only when cold ?????

Any help would be truly grateful as I am not looking forward to the drive home

2. Hey midnight, if it's the same thing as happened to me, it turned out to be nothing mechanical at all, it was my floor mat that was catching the throttle! Freaked me out too at first I just bought some Velcro stuff off eBay and secured the mat to the floor!
    Hopefully it's something just as simple for you!

3. Nmp

Nmp

+1

4. Fly by wire.

5. Cheers guys i got castle combe in june and i dont want that to happen there, how does the mat stop the pedal from returning jj? Of not had a good look at that yet but thank you mate. Makes me feel better :-))

6. Agree on Floor mats.
    I cable tie the rear now to stop it sliding forward.

7. Nay probe fella.

On mine it was literally just sliding forward slightly after driving for a bit (only happened when I was a bit enthusiastic while driving, so probably from all the feet movement) and the corner had slightly turned up near the throttle peddle. So it would just catch the throttle and hold it down, if that makes sense?

I thought it a bit odd that the megs didn't have the little bars to put through the mat (majority of my previous cars did I think!) to stop it moving.

8. I've had this a few times. I used velcro to better secure my drivers side mat.

9. Just would like to say thanks to everyone for the help today, ive put new Velcro at the pedal ends and also put 2 cable ties at the seat end so no more slipping. this could have ended up real nasty if it was rush hour, I was just real lucky it was 6am and quiet :smile:

10. Never had it on the Meg (velcrod), but had it twice on a old T16S. Dump the clutch is all you can do! Then kill the engine. Unnerving brown trouser moment. Still use to have the reverse on an M3. Get to a junction, go, but nothing would happen. Throttle momentarily disconnects as a signal to the FBW. Have to switch off and reset.