Fuel Readout Issue

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Kinger8938, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Hello all! Just signed up, new here.

Recently became the owner of a RS300 Trophy 2020. Purchased from a main Renault dealer so has its warranty. I'm experiencing an issue with the fuel gauge.

Basically when I get to about 70ish miles left in the tank I start to think about topping up soon but not necessarily right away as it's got plenty left etc

Anyway with this car I've noticed that when I get to this point the car will suddenly drop to 10 miles remaining, fuel light on and a beep sound to warn me.

For example got home the other day, 70ish miles left in the tank, no fuel light on.

Turned car on next day, drove 2 minutes up the road and suddenly 10 miles remaining, fuel light on.

This seems like a fault to me. I've contacted them and booked it in for investigation Tuesday. Just concerned as they said it will cost £130 to investigate. If their findings are covered under warranty then that fee is waived. If not then I have to pay it.

Had the car like 3-4 weeks and it's done this each time I've neared the thought of needing to top up soon but not yet.

Makes you not trust it

Any similar issues or known faults that this could be?

Otherwise love the car!

2. Do you park the car in a slope or incline? Try to park it the other way around and check if it persists.

3. Another way of doing that is put 5l of fuel in a jerry can and drive until it runs out.
    Then you will know if it's the computer catching up or not.

Keep in mind, your fuel consumption will naturally be higher as you start a car from cold

4. I think the mileage remaining is worked out by as are driving so when you go to start it up in the morning it won’t be running the same cold engine etc so the remaining mileage will drop

5. Yes that's correct. I used to giggle when I left home on the dci with 400 miles left. Drive 30 and had 500 miles left