250 Fuel pump on the way out??

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CCowan91, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Have no idea cause i've never had one go faulty on me, but i created a post not long ago about hitting the limiter before the red line. And i experienced this an hour into a drive round some B roads the other day. (so wasn't the cold limiter) Felt like i hit a wall when i floored it at about 4k in 3rd or 4th i can't remember exactly. Backed off a bit for about 20 seconds and went for it again... Fine.:confused:

I also experience something weird on start ups, not every time but now and again. Like if I try to move off after starting the car when i push the gas the revs will bounce to like 3k then back down and back up and down and goes on like this..?! This is when i have constant pressure on the gas.. So i leave it a few seconds and it drives perfectly normal.

Not really mechanically minded but seems fuel related possibly? Any suggestions would be appreciated as been chasing my tail for a while lol..

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Difficult to guess, I would recommend putting the car on diagnostics before throwing unwanted parts at it.

3. Thats the thing everytime I have the car in, it drives fine and there's no mention of any codes showing... But there's definately something not right. Very frustrating.

4. Sure it's not the cold start limiter kicking in? Is this when the car is driven away from cold? Mine can be a bit jumpy if I push the pedal a little hard from cold. In my clio it would literally back fire....commonly known it was the cold start map

5. If your revs are hunting up and down your engine is sucking in air from somewhere, check for loose and split pipes

6. Definitely both times i've experienced it the car has been warmed up. Gonna check the pipes for any air leaks just now. King of intermittent faults this car...:tongueout:

7. I had an upper rev range hesitation problem which you might recall from my other thread. I took it into Renault, they scanned it and found a stored fault for the upstream lambda sensor. They replaced it under warranty & the motor is back to it's former screaming glory after 4500rpm :smiley:

Odd thing is, the CEL never came on... no stop or spanner light either. I asked the chap to show me a screengrab on Clip out of curiosity and he showed me all the data stored that relates to the fault. The fault was logged about 5600km ago! I'll have to review my logs to see if i noted anything around that mileage. My fuel consumption didn't significantly change either.

8. Yeah mine hasn't triggered any CEL or anything either. Going to pop in and get it on the machine maybe today or tomorrow. Hopefully nothing major as i've no warranty and already spent a small fortune replacing things the previous owner wasn't bothered about..

9. I forgot to add, it happily screams to redline in 1st, 2nd and probably 3rd (not enough space around here to redline in 3rd but it gets close enough).

It still doesn't seem willing to go if i floor it in 4th at 70kmh though. It does gain speed, but it's not in any hurry to do so. Is this normal for these cars? Aren't most dyno pulls done by flooring it in 4th?