250 Fuel gauge stopped working

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by harpo, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Got down to running low light flashed with the usual beeping........went to petrol station and put £35 worth in. Started her up to pull off and the gauge stayed in the red and beeped .........drive off and the gauge stayed there.
    Any ideas anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Mine does this before, Left it and it was fine the next morning. Just being French i guess

3. Mine did it once, was almost half a tank of fuel on the gauge and next thing i saw was a gauge showing almost empty tank. As -Jamie- said it was fine again next time.

Sent from my SM-A300F using Tapatalk

4. And.......yep, there it is fixed this morning! How strange

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Mine did this yesterday! Had over half a tank in and then the fuel warning light came on with range 0miles.
    Filled her up at the closest garage and it returned to showing the right level on the engine restart. Does anyone know how the fuel level sensor works?

6. The gauge sender is just a simple track resistor and a float swipe arm that’s all part of fuel pump in tank, possibly the arm gets stuck on track end, if vehicles up around 70k miles could be good time change pump as a precautionary measure

7. The float arm is known to stick on the track after a while

Due my recent experience with a failed sender unit I would advise that anyone with an early 225 variant, and probably any variant , to make sure you get the details from Renault from the vehicle VIN record, for the sender unit that you actually require.

There appears to be some confusion as to the type of sender used, generally some are twn port. (send and return), and some are single port. This info does not seem to always make it to 3rd party sellers. once you have the actual part number you can choose to get only the sender unit- and re-use the existing fuel pump that fits inside the sender which can lower cost considerably, and is not to difficult to do

One other thing make sure you purchase a new seal and locking ring with the unit - It can save your or your mechanics sanity :wink: