Fuel additives

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by noshadow, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Is there any sort of additive I can add to my fuel when I have to fill up with unleaded as opposed to super unleaded? I'm away in the hebrides just now and there's no access to super unleaded up here!

2. Unless you've been remapped on 98/99 Ron fuel then I wouldn't bother. Normal fuel will fine, that's what the car was designed to run on :smile:

3. U should be able to drive it on unleaded even of it has been mapped as long as u don't hammer it surley?

4. The car is standard map but I usually run on super unleaded. I'm happy enough to run it on standard unleaded while I'm here, just wondered if I should add anything else but glad to hear there's no need. :smile:

5. Should say on the inside of your filler cap, at least mine does....that 95 or 98 RON are fine.

6. There is mate. Do a google for fast exocet octane boost. Uprates the octane by 2. Also turns 99 into 101.

Not tries it myself but have heard good things.

Dave

7. My car has been mapped and I do run it on v-power

As you say sometimes it's not available , I have run it on 95ron fuel and noticed no difference at all . I'm sure the ECU will make adjustments to suit ?

8. If youre worried just stay off boost - if it knocks off boost you have bigger problems than using the wrong fuel anyway :wink:

Id expect the ecu to adjust though - its more than modern enough.

9. I personally have always used Super unleaded in my Renaultsports (and all previous performance cars owned), I always fill up with V-Power when possible, or Tesco Momentum 99, I've never felt that my car has run as well when using BP Ultimate.

This is taken from the FAQ on on the Renaultsport website http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community/experts/faqs

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tableheader, bgcolor: #222222"]What fuel should I use in the petrol versions?[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: tablecontent"]The recommended petrol for all Renaultsport cars (all Clio, Mégane and Spider) is 98 RON. Lower octane fuel (either 95 or 97 RON) may be used although the performance will be slightly affected.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

A very old but interesting article - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=302977

As for Octane boosters, a friend of mine with a tuned JDM spec STi uses Millers http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60237-millers-oils-cvl-turbo-octane-booster.aspx
    No idea if it works or not, but he swears by it!

10. Bp ultimate is 97 and therefore not super in my book.

Shell nitro+ seems to be the best at the moment - I got less average knock sensor activity and generally smoother running on my scoob compared to momentum - it was mapped on momentum as well weirdly . Old scoobs are very fuel sensitive especially when tuned and im still talking well within safe limits so wouldnt think twice about filling up with momentum