FRP Panels 250/265/275 Group Buy

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by Mark_RS, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Hi all,
    I'm talking to CCF (carefully constructed fibreglass) about having some panels made up for the car. I've used them previously for FRP doors and boot lid on my Clio 172Cup and the quality is spot on and the weight saving is amazing.

If I can get 5 orders for any of the following, they will waive the tooling costs. I will source the relevant part for the tooling unless someone has spares. I've asked for the parts to be OEM fitment and to include allowance for all stock trim items.

Bonnet part £240 inc vat
    Tailgate £220 inc vat
    Doors £385 (pair) inc vat

These would be black gelcoat.

2. I'll get the ball rolling:

Bonnet
    1. Mark RS
    2. Jamie

Tailgate
    1. Mark RS
    2. Jamie

Doors
    1. Mark RS

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2017
    MilosB likes this.
  3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Good work Mark!

Put me down for a tailgate and bonnet for now, doors will come once I'm caged

4. Nice one Jamie, anyone else we know who would want in? I'm really keen to get moving on this! I'd even consider buying 2 and sell one on if it gets us off the ground. It's HARD to find lightweight panels for our cars.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'll ask around and see if theres anyone, Might find some of the Euro guys would be after some as well!

6. re: tailgate - presumably with plastic window?

Oh and would be it properly functional? Some people have boot leaking issues as it is... or is it a case of the boot is then permanently shut?

7. You'd have to fit the glass unless you get the lexan kit from Plastics4Performance as I'm doing. I've asked for them to be 100% functional so that locks, struts, windows, wiring, plastics etc can all be dropped in. If I ever get used to the car without plastics in I know there's a big weight saving to be had but then it's a race car and that always ends badly for me.

If we get more than 5, we may get a discount on those rates. I'll ask them. Also if we get to 4 on bonnet and trunk, I'll buy 2 to make the numbers and then flog them on Ebay at a markup.

8. Also, is anyone on the other RS forums? I'm not but could make the numbers quite easily that way too.

9. Bonnet
    1. Mark RS
    2. Jamie
    3. Neil

Tailgate
    1. Mark RS
    2. Jamie
    3. Neil

Doors
    1. Mark RS

10. Any more interest? I've been told 4 weeks is the timeline from deposit and parts to mould and first pull of panels.

The bonnets should weigh around 5kg, trunk lid 4kg and doors 4.3kg!

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Any idea what the stock bonnet actually weighs? I don't think it's actually that heavy tbf

12. Good point, I think I've read somewhere that it's 15kg but can't imagine that...maybe 10-12? I think the weight savings will be decent.

13. What do the stock parts weigh?

14. Doors are heavy as fuck, huge saving there. Boot will be the next biggest saving then bonnet. Could be around 50kg for everything?

15. That’s a nice saving, especially if they can come up with other panels and the roof as well. What’s the in cabin noise like when replacing the stock panels with fiberglas?

16. I wouldn't go with frp for a roof as it's not very rigid, you'd need CF for that. When I did the trunk and doors on my Clio it was hard to say as I'd removed all the seals and sound deadening etc, the car was sub 900kg. The doors I had years ago that kept the seals etc were nice and quiet though, just wierd with the lack of weight when opening and closing them.

17. Anyone else interested? The guys have been on and said that if they can get a decent deposit from the 3 names we have, they'll start the moulds now!

18. Bonnet
    1. Mark RS
    2. Jamie
    3. Neil
    4.Rich

Tailgate
    1. Mark RS
    2. Jamie
    3. Neil
    4. Rich

Doors
    1. Mark RS

Do we know the savings on weight for bonnet and tailgate?

19. We're saying around 5kg front and around 8kg rear saving...won't know till we get the parts made.

They're ready to made the moulds now and I have the parts...waiting on Jamie and Neil to get a deposit together.

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

I'm going to have to say no for the time being Mark I'm afraid. Need to curtail the spending for this year on it but if they have the moulds for them done I'll contact them in the new year myself

21. They're asking for £50 non-refundable for each order...you sure Jamie? I might not bother if it's only me doing it. Neil, Rich, you in?

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah still gonna have to decline I'm afraid Mark, By the time you add poly windows and paint the price jumps exponentially. So for now i just can't justify it haha, Cage really needs to be the next thing i do over anything else anyway

23. OK Jamie

24. I'd take a Bonnet

25. As nobody came through with deposits, I've bought 3 boot lids to get them made. Should be ready early January and then I'll sell the 2 spares. They're made to my spec, so will require aero catches and some mods to fit the trim. I'll get pics etc when they're ready.

26. Did anyone get a bonnet and weigh it compared to standard? I'm looking to shed weight from the front of the car but if the bonnet isnt worth it I'll put the cash into a lightweight battery

Thanks, Stu

27. Are you the chap with the FRP doors from CCF Stu? You'll save a few kg on the bonnet for sure but going from a stock battery to a liteblox saves you over 10kg which is a bigger saving. I have a spare frp boot lid for sale still if interested, last one. I'm ordering some frp doors this week.

28. Are these bonnets the same for all 250/265/275’s?

29. No, the earlier cars have a much smaller renault logo, later cars are different. The carbon bonnets I've seen (and own) are from the earlier cars.

30. I’m looking into doing a ph2 to ph3 conversion. These FRP bonnets are cheaper than a standard bonnet i believe so could be an option if they are available for all phases.

31. Just the 250 style I'm afraid...plus they never got made as nobody put up the cash. The carbon one I bought cost £2k