265 Front silencer delete

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by testbloke, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Seems expensive. Can get a silencer delete pipe off ebay from a company called Zaustworx for 40 quid.

Gareth and Paddy80 like this.
  2. Excellent, thank you

3. Being a bit older and not having modified a road use car for a long time, I looked into the legality of deleting a silencer. Which is quite clearly not legal for road use!
    Is this something that is enforced? I imagine in teh case of an accident the insurance company wold gladly see this as a get out of jail free?

"Exhaust systems and silencers shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not after the date of manufacture be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases. What this means is you are breaking the law if you modify the existing exhaust system on your vehicle. i.e. removing a silencer or any modification that would make that vehicle emit a noise louder than the original exhaust system before it was modified."

4. That’s what modified car insurance is for

5. If the government says it is illegal then no chance of getting legitimate car insurance cover.
    Was a quick win for a bit more sound but now will save the pennies for and aftermarket cat back system that can then be insured with modified car insurance.

6. I doubt many insurance companies would even realise it was non standard.

7. most insurers happy to insure if you declare mods upfront inc zorst, brakes, remap, seats, wheels, shocks etc

8. I agree low risk but exhaust legislation is pretty clear and other than an Akrapovic that was a factory option I think it would be a struggle to oget around, certainly deleting a silencer or CAT is pretty obvious.
    I am a bit more cautious with this as I had a claim rejected many years ago and ended up with £70 scrap for this with three years still to pay - had chipped it and the insurance investigator called it :coldsweat: IMG-1499.jpg

9. Something like that’s more obvious if they open the ecu and it says superchip on it though.

10. Agree, this one was on me but it was surprising how thoroughly they went through the car. This is an "allowed" modification so I could have declared it and would have been okay.
    The point with the exhaust debate is that it is really clearly worded that anything other than standard and deviating from the manufacturers original type approval is illegal - not worth the risk for me

11. Motor vehicles act 1996 says "The vehicle shall be fitted with an exhaust system including a silencer, such that the exhaust gases shall not escape into the atmosphere without first passing through the silencer". Says nothing about modifiying though, and the Meg has two silencers so chopping just the one out still complies with this. The law you linked looks like it's for Northern Ireland so maybe it just applies to over there? Unless you are in NI.

Also MOT inspection list just says to inspect present silencers and measure noise. To me this all seems if you have at least one silencer and your car doesn't fail a noise test in the MOT you are perfectly legal.

12. You could just not declare anything and stop being a pussy, unless of course you plan on crashing

13. Then again I’m fucked if I crash but I can’t afford any other insurance and they’re charging extortionate prices if I declare anything☹️