Front grill steam?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CJ_RSport, Oct 31, 2013.

1. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Hey ppl ive got a RS dci noticed last couple of days with westher im getting steam coming out of the front n/s grille just below bonnet

Is this normal? Doesnt smell of coolant im just thinking water evapourating off the rads?

2. It's most prob just water but if the rad is the same as the r26 I'd get it checked out mate.

3. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Do the r26 have problems? Id have though derv one would be slightly bigger internally but not sure will get a pressure tester off my mate at weekend and test if I lose any coolant need to take cover off to check level as the engine covers are useless for checking levels

4. Yup. R26 has a common issue with them leaking

5. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Ahh cheers for reply mate il be whippin bumper off to check then for reassurance lol

6. I have noticed this on my r26 too, strong smell of coolant too, but no leaks? Does it just let steam out?

7. You will have a leak it will prob be very small and be on the other side

8. is this the same on the 225 as well? I had read somewhere that the std units are prone to leaks....

9. Yup

10. dam it lol another thing I will have to look out for.....

11. So will a pressure test show it? My cars under warranty, so if it leaks under a pressure test I can get it replaced!

12. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Yeah pressure test would show a leaking rad as it will fire out due to increase in system pressure. although ive done it on an old 306 losing coolant and it was pumpin the pressure into cylinder lol
    I dont actually know wether it is the rad as no steam all way home, rad bone dry. topped coolant up at work and now its way over max
    Although aircon rad is still wet. Going to mark the coolant position and monitor daily see how much we losin if any as havent checked coolant for months

13. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

I think I could have jist been paranoid unless its a real small leak, hasnt lost water and done 100miles today some of which hard to get temp right up and no steam no leaks think mite have just been water getting onto rad fingers crossed ey

14. I've had exactly the same as the OP - thought I had a leak (may still have) but it's not going down any longer.

15. Well I had mine pressure tested today, it didn't show where it was coming from, but I was losing pressure! :worried:

16. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Had mine done today and not losing anything must have been water running onto rad.

Best bet is shoppin around I got a price of 100 all in for a nissens rad but another place wanted 150+vat for valeo and gsf wanted 120+vat for valeo cant see it being too difficult of a job tho

17. Yup. mine was leaking/venting (spotted by Paul at RS Tuning), I didnt notice.....ahem. Replaced under Renault warranty thankfully.

18. I've had my bumper off today to check it out and found a leak. Small rust mark and loads of crystals. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383510503.924657.jpg

Attached Files: