Forge dump valve

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ghosty0101, Jun 30, 2014.

1. I was driving along today with no music and the window open and I noticed that my dump valve is letting air past on boost before I come off the throttle. On half throttle it seems to open at around 2500 rpm and stays open until my foot is on the floor. It doesn't feel half as quick when it's doing it! I also have a stack boost gauge which isn't connected at the moment (only had the car a few weeks so I'm not sure where the hose has been left) and I was wondering if this would affect it or cause it at all or do I just need a new spring for the DV?
    Thanks!

2. I'm seriously starting to think Forge DVs are shit, all I read about is failures and mine hasn't worked properly since day one. Doesn't help their customer service is terrible.

anyway it sounds like your spring has lost its tension or broken, they're very easy to open up and have a quick inspection. Have you recently upped the boost?

3. The dump valve has two springs, the settin spring and the helper spring. Its the helper spring that has snapped. Forge will usually send u replacements asap and free sometimes if u haven't had it long.

ive never had an issue with their customer svc, but i understand every company has upset people. At some point

4. It's their technical assistance I feel lets them down. When purchasing my recirc valve at FCS a year back I asked the Forge rep what colour spring would best suit my mapped 265 at 1.5 bar and he just shrugged. Then I asked which colour spring was in it as standard and he was once more clueless.

Thennnn I asked him what the benefits of an uprated actuator are and he just replied 'dunno mate I just sell the stuff I'm not an engineer'. Then why the fuck are you representing the company at a show predominantly attended by people who will be switched on enough to understand and ask technical questions.

As for the the DVs themself, I can't speak for all of them but the two I've had suffer from tremendously slow reaction times, in fact mine actually boosts to 2 bar before the piston opens after throttle release, regardless of spring strength. Forge were useless when i contacted them about the problem.

Anyway that's my rant, sorry for the thread heist :tongueout:

5. That's fine mate! I've only had the car a few weeks, and I haven't touched a thing on it yet! It's just gone in for a service at 519 and he said he'll have a look at it for me. I'm thinking of getting a different valve or just a blanking plate so I can make the turbo chatter because I'm a bit of a sucker for that! I'm not sure if turbos like that though, I've read it can damage them so I'll have to do my homework before I start cocking around with it!

6. Tbf that's pretty shocking lol

7. The idle spring in my valve broke, it cost £5 and about half and hour of my time to replace - I thoroughly cleaned it and re-greased it in the process. It works just fine.

8. Your DV was dead quiet when you took me out in it, thought my standard recirc valve was louder with my filter setup?

9. Yeah your intake sounded the nuts! The dv is just being moody, sometimes it works fine, I.e when you give it a boot, but just cruising along at 2500 rpm it opens when you come off the throttle and stays open for a bit when you get back on it! Just found a load of other bits need doing which will set me back a fair bit so a valve that makes noises is somewhere near the bottom of my list at the moment!