Fitting R26R Clutch Gone Wrong – Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by level9eleven, Nov 13, 2023.

1. Hey everyone, just had a weird experience with fitting the R26R clutch into the Meglio (225 eng + gearbox), and need your wisdom here.

Fitted a new R26R SMF from RSTuning, a new Renault R26R clutch from RPD together with a new slave cylinder from RPD as well.

The bleeding went perfectly fine, pedal feel was great. However, as soon as I started the engine, the clutch pedal became rock solid not letting me to depress it.
    When applying moderate pressure for a while, the pedal was very very slowly sinking and vibrating as if there was ABS system working on the clutch line for some reason.
    After a few attempts, apparently the new slave cylinder burst since there was a loud pop and brake fluid immediately started running through the bell housing, together with the pedal becoming stuck at the floor.

After a bit of reading here, I recalled fitting the clutch disk apparently the wrong way (protruding side of the clutch disk bell facing the gearbox). Silly, I know – should have checked thoroughly before fitting.

It's obvious that the slave cylinder is now gone, however I'm trying to find answers on a few questions:
    1. In reality, is there a risk of damaging the pressure plate or disk by fitting the disk the wrong way? Should I buy a new clutch again?
    2. Why did the clutch seemingly *work* with reasonable pedal feel until I started the engine?
    3. Where did the ABS-like vibration come from?

Any advice would help, thanks

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

In my experience and yes i have fitted the plate the wrong way around :rage:

The clutch works, but is difficult or impossible to get it into gear with the engine running.

I would say that you might have a different problem, there was someone on here a few years ago that had an issue, that was that the springs on the pressure plate were fully extended, like a worn out clutch, think it wasn't set at the factory.

If so, there apparently is a tool for resetting it.

Hi and welcome by the way

3. Thank you, and yes I've read through that thread full of drama.
    Interestingly, I took a picture before fitting the gearbox, and the SAC springs seem to be properly compressed. Will double-check though that they still are when the box is off again.

Did your clutch take any damage in that case by the way?

IMG_2811.PNG