250 Fitting CUP gearbox to non-CUP RS?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by HASLE, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Hey!

The bearings in my box are on the way out, and I'm getting quotes on refurbishments but also looking at complete new and refurbished boxes. My RS 250 is a non-CUP, with a gearbox code of PK4 019, and is, as far as I can tell interchangeable with the CUP-box (PK4 018)? The drive shafts seem to be identical - is there anything else I need to be aware of if I were to fit a CUP box with the diff and all? Aside from the vastly improved handling? :smiley:

Thanks in advance!

2. I did not think it was any different full stop , will be interesting to see

3. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

There's no difference in the box's apart from the diff

HASLE likes this.
  4. No problem at all , already done that....

5. just out of interest, if the box and shocks are changed, what else is different from the cup and non-cup chasis?

6. Some stability/torsion bar. And there are the visual differences of red calipers and cup writing. Best of both words for daily I guess is cup gearbox only. Aparently the cup chassis is 35% stiffer.

7. I bought a non cup ( didn’t know a lot about the cars at the time)
    I only use mine as a daily but plan on going cup dampers with grams,
    Just wondered if it would be worth changing the box at some point, already put a lot into the car so too late to sell and go for a cup from my perspective
    Are the torsion/stability bars much of a job? Or would it be fine with the non-cup version