Fitting a different turbo

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Cheers JJ

Somethings are a bit easier to get too, its not all cramped together, some bits are but other bits aren't.

I think i might take it out sometime soon to try and get some miles on it, i can then do an oil change ready for the dive to EFI :laughing::laughing:

2. JJZ

JJZ

sounds good i wonder what’s it’s like to have between 400 -500 bhp on these cars there fast anyway with 230 bhp so must be crazy power just getting down defo need a quafe diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mine is a cup car so has a diff fitted in it anyway, i did fit a Quaife diff to my 225 and that made a huge difference, especially as it was running 320hp and 360ftlbs of torque :sunglasses:

Can't wait to find out myself :laughing::laughing:

4. JJZ

JJZ

can the standard diff on the megane handle that kind of power what about the the gearbox any synchros need upgrading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. i have friends who are engineers that can make one up for you, if thats a temp fitting..

ianplymouth likes this.
  6. i have not heard of any issues with the diff's in the Megane, they are basically a Quaiff anyway, i have had a replacement gearbox in mine last year, 3rd gear went and 4th was trying to follow it, so i bought a replacement box and had that fitted so i could carry on with trackdays, i then bought all new quality bearings and seals, along with a 3/4 gear cluster, then had a really close look and i needed a 3rd gear gear wheel, the parts are very reasonably priced from Renault surprisingly.

That is one thing i suppose i can do, that is rebuild that gearbox just in case this one lets go, i also have another gearbox but it's from a non cup car so there is always that to use as well as long as i swap the diffs.

There may also be another project for this car in the winter gearbox wise :openmouth:

7. That would be great Andrew, i would have a few made as i think there could be a few that would buy one.

We need to meet up after all this shite is over :relieved:

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Havnt left yet [emoji1787]

400 will be plenty, especially as knowing Chris it'll be mapped to have the torque hold on for the full rev range and bring thr power in nice and linear 7a7b2f9d3d61703e16a07e4db8d5bb18.jpg

Eder likes this.
  9. So you will be back :sunglasses::sunglasses::laughing::laughing:

10. You gonna use mineral oil to run it in?

11. No, straight onto fully Synthetic, i didn't get it rebored its only rings and bearings.
    Will do an oil and filter change after a couple of hundred miles though.

andrewjeffs likes this.
  12. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Funny thing was it was sold and the guy was from Plymouth as well!

Had to pull out due to lockdown effectively closing his business down and was owed a considerable amount from a couple clients

So back up for sale it goes

13. What a master are you Ian!! Like saying in my country, there is a lot of ingenieers without license:laughing::laughing: I really likes thats kind of works doing yourself EVERYTHING. Not many people have the imagination or the will.
    Congratulations man!:wink:

ianplymouth likes this.
  14. Who was that then, i know there have been a couple of 250's etc around here, but i only see them when i'm in my Espace :confused:

15. Thanks manugtt
    That means a lot :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Think i might do a 250 gearbox rebuild thread, something to do in these stay at home times :cry:

manugtt likes this.
  16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Guy called Paul, also has a caged R26, he's had MK3s in the past

Runs a Ppf company, good guy but just really shit circumstances so understand his situation

17. That's a shame, be nice to see a few more Renault sports around here, i assume he's not on this forum then

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Nah don't think he is, think he's had some issues with his R26 fuel system as well

19. well that's a surprise :laughing::laughing::laughing:

20. Good idea, I must to do the timing belt change this summer, but I think I gonna take advance of the situation and will do it this days, with other little works that I have in mind.

21. Are you okay doing the belt change ???
    If you need any help let me know and i will try and talk you through it.

22. step o
    step 1.....dont go anywhere near the flywheel!:astonished::flushed::smile:

manugtt likes this.
  23. Don't worry its the other end of the engine :blush::blush:

24. Don´t worry Ian, I´d do it many times, that´s my job!! Anyway I appreciate.

Came on Andrew! Be good with Ian!:tonguewink::tonguewink:

ianplymouth likes this.
  25. happens to us all..i caused £200 worth of damage to my cill on my R26 when the jack slipped on the way down.

26. Good to see you are still cracking on with it mate.

A few observations from my side:
    PLEASE get Andrewjeffs’s friend to machine you an adapter, I’ve spent many hours checking the clocking, etc. Getting my way around how to draw it in Solidworks and then eventually draw it. Besides my hard graft, and even though I like your solution, if/when any part of it comes loose (like the exhaust cement for instance) it’ll fuck up the turbine wheel, which would be a shame! Regarding the gap, the standard turbo isn’t sealed there either, it’s only a 1mm gap and when things heat up it’ll probably close itself anyway.

Porting on the manifold is a must as I’ve told you before, which you did.

Behind the bulkhead heatshield (where your turbine cover touches) is the fuel line, this is the reason I’ve never went on with it. As when I would’ve I wanted to offer it as a kit, but in that case it should’ve been a straight fit and not needing the fuel line altered aswell.

Anyhow, good to see you’re still at it and would love to see the results!

27. I have tried to get someone to make this for me, but didn't have any success, so thats why i spent hours upon hours filing the thing out.

There is such a fine layer of sealer on the manifold, i did fit it and then remove it to see how it sealed, it was then cleaned off and another film applied, as the turbo wasn't fitted at this point i could see any excess and clean it off, the turbo was fitted to the adaptor with a proper bought gasket.

as it was so close to the heat shield i did manage to fit a blanket over the turbo exhaust end, i also hear wrapped the down pipe to keep as much heat away from everything.

It's all finished and working, just waiting now for EFI to open back up so i can get it mapped.

28. my mates should be able to do it if they have the correct drawings.But obviously until this virus shit finishes...everything is a no go.They are flat out making ventilators!

29. That's fine Andrew, not planning to take the engine out again in the near future, so there's no rush :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

If there doing an important job making ventilators i can wait, mine is not that important. :laughing::laughing:

30. i was recently talking to a guy on facebook and he said. than this that I put on you now. makes and sells gt performance

6f2d9b627a0d0af50b1e8944875dfc13o.jpg

and I have seen this on a Facebook port Chorba motor sport

693bba8a9087efa1d6c2ffa97e78b9c2o.jpg

Lexy, Eder and ianplymouth like this.
  31. That's what i want, any idea on price and availability

32. 800041857697_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=gcFSwrEHH-MAX-5fJSX&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

Lexy and Eder like this.
  33. theres a better pic ian

34. 625600204932_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=pU9rN1uZCo4AX8fuGZ9&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

Lexy and Eder like this.
  35. Thanks
    Looks nearly as good as mine :openmouth:

36. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Lexy likes this.
  37. will keep an eye out for your mapping date ian. if im off will pop down to watch if thats ok.

quick question. does anyone stroker these motors

38. Not heard of anyone doing that, by max boring the engine takes it to 2061cc if that helps :laughing::laughing:

39. As soon as i get a date i will put it up on here

rockabilly likes this.
  40. lol wouldnt bore it unless needed for the piston choice. but as they only really rev to say 7 forged a longer stroker crank would give some impressive torque increase