Sponsored By:  

First ever track day

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Deanr26, Nov 18, 2016.

1. As per title I'm having a go at my first ever track day on Sunday at silverstone and I'm looking for some tips to have a smooth day.
    i was also wondering if it's a good idea to take some fuel with me, is that recommended? The weather looks terrible but that's not putting me off as I feel I'll be more cautious and the car won't have such a hard time. Car is and r26 with 300bhp, cooksport springs PS3 tyres and hc brembo brakes it's also had recent oil plugs injectors and coils changed! Thanks in advance!

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi Dean
    I think the best advise i can give you is, spend £30 and book some tuition, tell them when you sign on, that's it's your first trackday and you would like to go out with an instructor as early as you can, i did this for my first five tracks.

An instructor is a wealth of knowledge about the track, they are there to make sure you have a safe day, they are not there to get you to drive as fast as possible, it all about the lines, throttle control, balance etc, every time i have done this it has been the best money i have ever spent.

grantw likes this.
  3. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

You are only aloud 25 ltrs max at the track, best to find a garage on the way and then in the lunch break (you get an hour) go fill up again ready for the afternoon, don't worry about the weather, it's good to drive close to the limit in the wet, it's a lot safer than trying to do it on public roads.

And most of all ENJOY the day :sunglasses:

4. Ian's made some good suggestions. Watch some videos on YouTube so you've got an idea of the layout of the circuit and the normal lines to take. No need to go balls out in the first hour, concentrate on learning the track, getting consistent lines and being observant for faster cars around you.

The temptation (for me) is to stay out on track for as long as possible, but giving the car (and more importantly the driver) a frequent rest is a good idea.

Enjoy your day, it's addictive!

grantw likes this.
  5. Yeah get an instructor - that will gain you a few days experience in 30mn. As a road driver you will turn in too early, not use all of the track and let the calipers drag, that's normal. He will fix that for you. And remind you not to use your handbrake when parking.

grantw likes this.
  6. All of the above are really good points. Most of all, enjoy it.

Theres a BP 5 mins away. Get on the A43 twards the M1 and its at the roundabout by Mcdonalds

7. Hi. All very good and sensible points made by others here. My suggestion would be to rest the (standard?) brakes more than you think and before or no later than when you feel the first fade......have a cool down lap and then go in have a rest both you and the car.........and don't put your handbrake on!!!!
    Have fun and a GREAT day......good luck.

8. Thanks chaps I'll take it all on board! I have tuition in the package so I'll hopefully get some tips.

Fingers crossed the car survives!

9. I couldn't agree more about tuition. It will make you faster and safer than any amount of money you spend on upgrades.

It will also save you a lot of wear and tear on your car, essentially saving you money.

I see lots of people on track days who destroy their tyres and brakes because of poor technique.
    Have a great day and post some pics or video.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk