few questions on going faster

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by 225race, Dec 18, 2014.

1. I maybe covering old ground and I'm sorry but I'd like peoples opinions.

Firstly clutch. I'm planning on running a ttv flywheel standard pressure plate and 4 paddle clutch. What power and torque do people think that'll take, any experiences

Throttle body.
    This tiny little thing that makes me look hugely well endowed, at what point are people changing these to generate more power.

That'll do for now I best go to work. There will be more and hopefully some interesting chat.

2. Throttle body good to upto around 450 iirc

Your best asking the clutch manufactor about peak torque etc

3. Cheers, I always do but would like any feed back from the end user as results could differ. :smile:

4. you havent mentioned the supplier of the clutch so it could be made of cheese for all i know

5. I haven't decided yet that's why, wanted to see what others had done. My thoughts were a genuine pressure plate (luk,sachs or something.) and a cgclutches 4 paddle clutch. Worked well on the last race car but wasn't a megane. I've read things about the helix set up being heavy. ( not keen on that) and also used to have there pressure plates break up. I could go down the ap or super clutch route but they can also be a bit unfriendly to use. So really what I'm getting at is has anyone tried the combination I've mentioned above on a car with upwards of 400bhp and has it worked?

6. I haven't decided yet that's why, wanted to see what others had done. My thoughts were a genuine pressure plate (luk,sachs or something.) and a cgclutches 4 paddle clutch. Worked well on the last race car but wasn't a megane. I've read things about the helix set up being heavy. ( not keen on that) and also used to have there pressure plates break up. I could go down the ap or super clutch route but they can also be a bit unfriendly to use. So really what I'm getting at is has anyone tried the combination I've mentioned above on a car with upwards of 400bhp and has it worked?

7. Helix system is fine. Its people needing to MTFU a bit.

8. Helix has made my car a pain in the arse. It'll be getting replaced in the new year.

9. It's not the bhp that dictates the clutch but the torque. I had a oem DMF with a oem pressure plate. I had the oem friction plate stripped & replaced with Kevlar. This managed 355ftlb with no issues. I have the helix solid flywheel kit for my new one & I know it will take 500ftlb with ease. With regards to the throttle body a 76mm Clio 197 one will give you over 600bhp. You just need a pin out diagram.
    Lee

10. Cool cheers lee. That's the sort of info Im after. Obviously I'm not sure what sort of power I'll have until it's been ser up but want to make sure everything is up to it if it makes the figures I want.

11. Set

12. What spec engine & what turbo are you running. That is more likely to dictate power & torque.
    Lee

13. Forged rods/pistons. Balanced, arp head studs, big end etc. Garret 30/71, tubular manifold and 3" exhaust. Huge intercooler with the larger intake pipes. Fuel system with a swirl pot and 044 pump. New 1 off fuel rail with a return and 630 injectors (may go larger yet) Probably other bits but you get the picture.

14. You injectors will probably be the limiting factor in that setup.

15. 800 injectors would be good with that turbo. However the limiting factor after the injectors is the throttle body & the oem head. The 197 head & intake would make a huge difference & I know of one that made over 600bhp.
    Lee

16. I'm hoping I don't need to go that far, I need a good strong engine I can abuse that'll stay reliable, also don't want drive train issues, Im hoping with these parts and a light car and the wind behind me it'll put me at the sharp end of the grid. But power is addictive so we'll see.

17. What series you entering?

18. Castle combe