R26 Exhaust noise/DB with decat and backbox chop?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ChrisC, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Hi everyone :smile:

Just a quick one really, I've got an rstuning decat atm
    I was looking to run a system with no rear box too but was just wondering about the noise
    I think mallory have gone up to 103db so I'm ok their but donnington is 98db on drive by.

I was just wondering if I'd be ok running the decat with backbox chop on 98db drive by limit?
    Has anyone else been ok running this combo on track?

Chris

2. I'm decat Ktec system and it's 93 at 4k

3. Mines a Miltec with decat and it's 86db

4. Awesome, looks like I'll be fine then :smile:
    Thanks guys

Cant wait to get it swapped now at weekend lol

5. Should be ok mate .. You are keeping the middle silencer arnt you ?

6. Yer I was looking to keep the middle box mate.
    Although I do have another centre without the box in, so was going to play around see what sounds best. But still keep 1 silencer in place. So whether it be just run the centre silencer and get rid of the rear box or just run a back box and get rid of the centre one.
    I was thinking getting rid of the centre and keeping the backbox may make it drone a little though?

7. No drone at all with a center box chop

[video=youtube;hQ8XQ2ebyeY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8XQ2ebyeY[/video]

Thats mine with a center box chop ( cat still on )

8. Cal

Cal

I've got decat + back box chop and standard centre box. Doesn't really sound like andy's though.

Absolutely silent at motorway speeds, and not THAT loud (although I couldn't give you a DB).

9. That sounds really nice andy! Makes me wish I had the mid box done instead of the rear now :/

10. Really like the sound of yours Andy, would be interesting with no mid box and a decat I think....

I ended up going with the backbox chop at weekend. The backbox was full over water which was quite funny
    Agree with Cal it sounds quite different to yours Andy, it isn't overly loud when pottering around, there is a little resonance sort of noise at times low down but nothing really.
    The RS2'd 182 I had was loads louder and that had 3 boxes lol.
    But I can't believe how quiet this is cruising at 70 or 80 on motorway, I'm pretty certain it's quieter now with no back box than it was with the back box in place haha.

On the whole really happy with the noise level, sounds great from inside.... well from what you can here over the itg induction noise :tongueout: not really heard it from outside myself yet. Don't tend to like revving it on my drive (try to keep the neighbours happy haha) so only gve it a little blip, but will try get a vid over the next week or so. It's always popping and crackling on th over run which is good fun

11. Cal

Cal

The water is normal, they collect them.

As for noise - try it from the outside mate. I was amazed how much different it sounded standing outside compared to sitting in.