Evo X what's the deal?

Discussion in 'Other Automotive Brands' started by chris, Dec 28, 2015.

1. So I know that Evo does the 300,330,360 and the 400. But what's different about them? Internals? Mapping? I'm just intrigued as I was browsing PH and for a few more grand I could get a lovely looking 330 on under 30k miles.

2. I'm not sure, the only drawback for me is that a lot have that sst flappy paddle gearbox which isn't supposed to be that great. A lot seem to be mapped with quite big gains, so they must be quite robust!

3. And to add, a 330bhp evo won't be much if any quicker than a 265, 4wd transmission losses and the extra weight.

4. I understand that it won't be much quicker standard but a simple remap looks as if it gives decent gains nearing 400bhp plus four doors would be a bonus. Anyone driven one?

5. Driven a 300 was a manual as well
    I liked it and was buying it but was struggling getting cheap insurance and they sold it the same day

Seats are amazing and it seemed like a massive car can't compare to the meg as I had a ep3 type r at the time and that had no torque

Couldn't really test the handling cause of the area the showroom was in all city driving with a bit of duel carriageway

6. Evo game is a bad move lol everyone I know thats got or had one all said the same thing.. It's a very very expensive slippery slope buying an evo

7. I can confirm this. My cousin has a Tommi makkinen evo 6 and it is constantly in the garage and he is spending boat loads of cash on the thing. One thing after another.

But the evo x is a much newer car. I'd suggest joining a know evo forum and see what kind of issues people are having with them.

8. The problem I've been told is that hot hatch game has moved on so much that having a mildly tuned evo doesn't cut it anymore so people want more

9. Yeah I agree with odinson, you either get a stock evo and plough money into it to make it as fast as every other evo or buy one that's been done and thrashed and then spend time and money fixing it! Lovely to look at but that's probably as far as I'd go with them!

10. yeh agree there. its that reason why I found it very hard to replace the rs 250 with. i felt that you either had to spend >£50k and go for a used GTR or go light hence the elise s/c

11. Yer I can't think of a car to replace the meg with bar e92 m3 and even then the meg is much cheaper and just as good on the bends

12. Exactly. It becomes a trade off between Power Vs Agility Vs low cost .

13. I have a mate who bought one last year for track use, it's had one outing and has since been riddled with problems and has became a money pit

14. The service schedule is pretty crazy:
    http://www.euro-spec2000.co.uk/Mitsubishi/Evo/

To be honest, after the Megane, any performance car will seem expensive to keep running. Renault really hit the sweet spot with the MK3 as it's cheap to run and really does stand up to abuse on trackdays.

15. I have both & the Meg is loads better in the bends. The m is a competition pack car too.

[​IMG]

lee

16. I had a FQ360mr HKS edition Evo 9, I'd rather have my 250 Megane

17. Nice car ! Holding their value too ! Always liked the Evo 9

18. I do love that M3 they look so sick! I'm surprised the Meg is better. Which is faster overall would you say? The R26 obviously has better power to weight and handling but it's raw too innit

19. The Megane is very cheap to run and maintain. Two nice cars you have there !

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Two totally different cars really. Both have very different ways of doing things regardless what is faster i would rather the M3. RWD and V8 along with the M heritage, Its a proper performance car. Alas it also has proper performance car bills and expenses.

21. The he megane is quicker around a circuit as the braking & handling are twice as sharp. The m3 is good on anything that isn't too twisty or start stop. The m3 is a faster car point to point though. With regards to bills & expenses it is on the service pack & still has warranty.
    Lee