Sponsored By:  

Everyones must have, for trackdays....

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by Rogan, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Just curious to ask, as I know a lot on here use their Meganes for track, I have purchased a Rs250 cup, and just seeing what everyone thinks is a crucial modification or must have things for trackdays/sprints, is there a modification that you couldn't do without, or made a big difference? Or even stuff you wouldn't recommend doing, that if you could go back and change what would it be?
    So far things I have done, are :
    CL brake pads
    SW rear cage
    Cobra sports cat, and exhaust system
    Forge BOV
    Airtec intercooler
    changed to TD 1.2's instead of the 19's

I'm keen to hear what you guys think? I see a lot of meganes with 235 tyres at the Ring, does this help much? is it noticable?

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Not really a modification, but if you are thinking of doing trackdays tuition is worth every penny.

3. I was talking about this today at a local track day, knowing your lines, braking points etc is worth more than any mod (y)

timbo likes this.
  4. Tuition makes a massive difference and definitely worth it from the right person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. This and good tires :smile: (as you already got the brakes)

Rogan likes this.
  6. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I got good tyres as well :sunglasses:

7. As said above. Personally i havent done a trackday without the following

Brake fluid renewal/clutch fluid
    Braided lines
    Front brake pads a minimum of ferodo ds2500s or equivalent.

Resonable branded tyres

Worth mentioning if u just throw in some high performance pads up front and expect to have good fade free braking without fluid renewal and or lines you would be potentially just as fooked with the original brake pads

8. Tyres are A052 yoko's so they should be up to the job, I was planning on doing the fluid when changing the pads over, but you reckon braided lines as well then are a must :smiley:

Mikey4410 likes this.
  9. NJH

NJH

Can't agree about braided lines but uprated pads and fresh fluid are a definite yes, stock items are just not up to hard track use on pretty much all cars, can't take the heat load. Engine mods are irrelevant but it must have enough fresh oil at all times on track, its amazing how many people forget to bring top up oil and/or regularly check their oil level (or for that matter all fluids) throughout a track day. Don't forget to pack your torque wrench and wheel nut socket as well, thus I will say by far the most essential mod for track days is a bag or crate or small box or similar that you will carry items in such as tow hooks/straps, torque wrench, top up fluid, lightweight trolley jack (if intending to change wheels). I also carry a selection of hand tools, Swarfega hand wipes (best thing since sliced bread), usually a six pack of spring water and of course my crash helmet. One of the benefits of course of towing track cars is that one can carry a stack of ancillary kit safely locked up in the tow vehicle but in 10 years I haven't had anything stollen. Cheers.

Rogan likes this.
  10. NJH

NJH

I was bound to forget it, something I always carried when racing and have chucked in the back of the Megane as well is a fold up camp chair, and of course you have to have a decent tyre pressure gauge and foot pump in the kit set.. Also remembered that whilst I haven't had anything nicked I have had my brand new foot pump swapped out for a beat up one Twice! The buggers.

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Any images of the rear cage @Rogan

12. The cage is on its way to me, but i will have it in next weekend all being well :smile: I will post pics when I get it done!