265 Ethanol in fuel.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Superfly, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Just checking if anybody is throwing ethanol in their fuel, my bud gave me 5 liters, any info on weather good or bad for engine etc, and are their any gains to be had from using ethanol mixed into your fuel?

2. Surely it would need to be mapped to use it properly? People there cars mapped to run on 98 octane so throwing some ethanol in would surely effect the way the car ran?

3. No idea ghosty, that why I'm asking

4. Gavin.

Gavin. RSM Admin

Seen something regarding this on Facebook recently, supposedly Tesco 99 Momentum has ethanol in it, a loot seemed to use it though.

Charlie @cgrautomotive is the man in the know.

Leigh likes this.
  5. cgrautomotive

cgrautomotive RSM Trader

Ethanol mix will need to run richer than just unleaded, whatever you do on a Megane don't just throw it in! Some cars you'd get away with it and just scathe by (Tesco Momentum is already between E5 and E10) but personally I wouldn't throw 5 litres in and hope for the best, you wouldn't get the gains without tuning the car for it and you risk running lean and blowing something up.

If you do do it, tune your car to suit, then always make sure your mixture of ethanol to unleaded is perfect everytime you fill up, otherwise don't run the risk!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

6. Cool, thanks I'm in South Africa, we get 93 octane or 95, but not even sure it's 95 If it can do damage then I'll use it as a degreaser

7. You could but around 10% of a full tank, not much gain on do it. Only safe some fuel

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk