Engine temperature on track

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by RMDavis, Sep 5, 2017.

1. As the title really chaps...

What are people's experiences?

Recently on my first track day in the R26 the temp gauge did start to creep up past the half way point to the three quarter mark.

It never went past that point, and would drop down very quickly on a cool down lap. The fan cuts in and out as normal.

This did spoil my fun however, as after a few laps I was constantly watching the temp, as I certainly didn't want any overheating issue's.

Anyone else had this problem? I was thinking maybe a coolant change would be a good start and give the radiator a good look over. Maybe a new thermostat?

Cheers,

Rob.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

2. I haven't really noticed mine getting any hotter when driving on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Maybe it's a problem looming... :pensive:

4. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

5. Water temps don't seem to increase that much on track, but I had oil temp of 130 (then I backed off) before installing an oil cooler.

6. That's a good shout Matt! I plan to do that first, and might stick a new thermostat in whilst i'm at it. (not sure how easy that is on the Megane's)

Then it will be a case of waiting until my next track day to see what the gauge does!

7. That would be handy to have, but I'm only going on the 'super accurate' Renault gauge! :wink:

8. Check your rad is in good condition my old r26 would heat up on track due to the fins on the rad perishing, got forge motorsport to knock an alloy one and this sorted the problem out. Also if you go big front mount that can even block some of the air flow to the rad.

9. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Mine stays just under half way what ever i do never shifts from that point when running road or track, do you have a larger inter cooler ???

I fitted an oil temp gauge and pressure sensors and the highest i ever saw the oil temperature was 105 deg on track

10. ianplymouth

I am still running the original rad in my "04" 225 with a 250 engine and running 310+ bhp with no problems

11. The oem rad should be fine but not if it is corroded. I just got a larger alloy one which flows more water for "belt and braces" reliability.

12. Hmm Interesting...

There must be an issue with my coolant system somewhere or just need an antifreeze change.

The Intercooler is standard, and the engine hasn't been mapped (yet)

13. ianplymouth

Wow a standard Megane Sport :laughing:

If you are going to do a coolant change it might be worth back flushing the system to dislodge any crap in the system, also might be worth putting in a new thermostat.
    There is also a circulating pump around the top of the gearbox, should carry on running after you switch off the engine.

14. matt e

Same as the Clio really there's a bleed screw near the brake servo where the coolant goes in to the cabin

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15. Emphasis on 'yet' :tearsofjoy:

It does currently have a Milltek and a KTR Intake, but I'm waiting to get a de-cat, intercooler, and injectors before any mapping starts!

Whats the thermostat like to do on the Megane? They're pretty easy on the Clio, but you've got much less space in the Meg's engine bay!

16. ianplymouth

So are you thinking of some track days, if so would be worth getting some better brake fluid like rbf600 etc and getting it flushed out properly on a machine

It is a bit of a faff but probably worth it if you are draining the cooling system anyway, can also shove a hose pipe in there to flush out any crap in the block

RMDavis likes this.
  17. matt e

RMDavis likes this.
  18. Has anyone tried the alloy radiator from Direnza on track?