Engine stops for a split second

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Owen21, May 14, 2023.

1. Hi guys,

I recently bought a 250 Cup with just over 150.000km.

2 weeks ago I was driving normally, engine was cold so I didn’t exceed 3000rpm. Today it happened again, “cold” oil but the thermostat already at 90c.

At around 3000rpm the engine just stops for a split second, I hear the blow off valve because power is cut but no check engine light.
    I believe it happens a few seconds after changing a gear. Not stepping on the gas, just maintaining 3k rpm.

Then it goes right back into normal driving like nothing happened. The car brakes heavily when it happens.

With a warm engine it revs smoothly all the way up to redline. So it’s probably not the spark plugs.

Anybody got a clue at what it could be?

Thanks!

2. Strange one I've never come across. Message ianplymouth on here, he may be able to help.

3. Thanks! Will do

4. I got your message.

Is it a strong deceleration, or is it like a lift off in a lower gear ????

If it is strong, then it can only be the ABS system, have you tried turning off the traction control to see if it still does it.

5. Thanks Ian!

It’s almost like hitting a wall for .5 seconds. Since it only happens rarely I don’t know how to recreate it. Happened 1500km ago and now again.

The garage where I bought it did replace the rear brake pads. Can that have something to do with it?

Thanks

6. I very much doubt its that, if its that severe, then it has to be the braking system, if you turn the traction control off every time you start it, then see if it happens.
    The ABS will still work so don't worry about that.

I have heard of someone having there brakes lock on for no apparent reason, that turned out to be the ABS pump failing, he replaced it and as far as i know its all good again.

7. Alright I will do, just hold the TC button down right? Might take a while before it happens again or not.

Is this something you can read through an error code?

8. It is holding down the button till you hear a bleep.

It might not throw up a code if it thinks its need to operate for some reason, a generic code reader might not pick up a fault, Renault Clip might, but that's a main dealer or a good Renault indy

9. Thanks!!

I will turn it off for the next time when I drive off. Not going to push it tough :smile:

Maybe I can call my local Renault dealer tomorrow to check if the can see something through fault codes.

Will keep you up to date

10. Thanks
    Be good to know what you find

11. Haven’t got the chance to go to a Renault dealer just yet. Hope I can do tomorrow.

Bought myself a OBD2 WiFi dongle but of course, no error codes.

12. I’m back, I drove with ESP and traction off. After 15 minutes of driving it happened again. Feels like a hard tap on the brakes. All of a sudden. Then I drove 2 hours more and nothing happens. Only seems to happen at around 15 minutes each time I drive.

13. I also found out I had water in my footwell. After a bit of searching I found that blocked drains lead to ABS Module failure..... Here we go