R26 engine rattle

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Nunez20, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Just noticed the engine is making a rattle / tapping noise. Can only hear it when you rev the engine and its starts as the revs start to drop. It was at a garage having the brakes done and they did not have time to fully check but said it sound like it is coming from the drivers side head area but they did not really have a good idea.

Any ideas? its not the engine cover took that off to check

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Lifters

3. should have mentioned it had a service yesterday and they changed the oil etc, now I have never heard this noise before but then at the same time it could have been there and I just did not notice it. RS Tuning had a quick listen and could not be sure what it was going to see Paul tomorrow to see what he thinks.

They did say it sounded like the lower part of the engine was making the noise

Anyone else any ideas?

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ouch, I had what sounded like noisy lifters. Turned out to be a bent rod.

5. ouch indeed specky said the only way to be sure was to strip the engine totally down at a cost I would fear to be over a grand, just need to decide if something I can just live with and its not going to break as its not worth spending so much money, annoying as I just spent several thousands on mods etc.

Just seems weird that this happens after a service or again could just be the first it has been noticed