Engine oil

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by traffking, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Looking to change the oil and filter within the next couple of weeks, what are everyone's preferences and where to get them from?
    Cheers!

2. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

I've always used the stuff from Renault. Elf. Not that expensive either.

3. Ill second that, I've always used the elf stuff too

4. I use Millers Nanodrive in my 250 Cup

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/nanodrive.asp

My car is over 3 years old, so out of warranty, but if it's in warranty you need to use an oil that meets Renault's RN0710 standards.

'Renault introduced the Renault oil standards in 2008 with the lauch of the Laguna III. This and all subsequent Renault cars will require an oil meeting one of the Renault oil standards, RN0700, RN0710 or RN0720. Refer to your Renault service booklet under the engine oil heading to see which oil is recommended for your car.'

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-898-rn0710-oil.aspx

5. Anyone recommend she'll helix ultra 5w40 that what I'm looking at atm

6. Feirny

Feirny RSM Admin

That's what is in mine. I'd use it again.

7. Milles NanoDrive here too

8. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Another for Millers Nanodrive but i have used and will use again Fuchs titan Pro S as i get it a lot cheaper than the Millers

9. Another Elf user here.

10. I used to use Titan Pro S when it was a road and track car.

Now its purely a track car I use Motul 300V

11. Titan pro S for winter, motul 300V for summer.

12. Why can't you just use Renault elf all year round , I do that's what Renault advise don't they

13. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

300V handles extreme high temperatures much better than anything else, Its a proper race derived oil for the ultimate lubrication and stability at high temps. Most guys that run serious track cars that i know use it, More so Ring toys mind you as they have a lot of prolonged high rev areas.

Renault may advise one thing but Oil's have came on a long long way since then, Of course they would advise using ELF branded stuff....

14. Is it ok for all year round though

15. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It is a lot more expensive than your run of the mill stuff and overkill for the road as it isn't an extended change type oil so needs changed regularly to keep offering the best protection and lubrication on components

I personally would only run it in a dedicated track car or if i lived and tracked somewhere with high ambient temperatures

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  16. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

These race oil's so to speak also have less detergents in them as opposed to your normal road oil so some people say that you won't get as much protection for plastic bearing covers, gaskets etc. I spoke to Opie about this before and they stated there is more than enough in it to protect day to day

17. Renault Elf, cheap and specified oil.

18. What the proper reno stuff that the excellium 5w40? Trouble is I don't know any motor factors that half elf on the shelves. So it's easier to find alternatives that are readly available and on the shelf or go to reno dealer that's miles away to get bent over by the stealers on a gallon of oil

19. That's why their is such a thing called ebay, you click buy it now for 6 ltrs, pay £27 and it arrives the next day, it's brilliant

20. Is eBay a motor factors, I've never heard of them being local. And you can't buy 6l for 27. It's 35 for 6l plus 2.50 for nextday delivery. So if you only have sarcastic input keep. it you yourself

21. Pretty cheap. Wouldn't be putting any standard motor factors crap in.

7435540017c276aec8a1e55184fc4700.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  22. Not disputing that and would never touch factors cheap crap I value my engine lol and oil change is important just wanting to know what equivalent oiks are available of shelf. People get so touchy around the subject of oils. And if your a 9-5 working man its nice to go somewhere and buy of the shelf at the weekend

23. You can use any oil as long as it meets the Renault standards quoted in post #4
    Just means you need to go in to the shop and read the label on what they stock and then choose

24. surely anything that opie oils recommend on their site for the meg would suffice for fast road use and a better piece of mind. it also comes down to cost and personnel choice. opie were doing a deal on a motul oil when i got mine not 300v but as per thread if your running it on the track and running high temps its worth the extra dosh.
    v happy with what i got from them.

25. Another elf user here ... got 6L delivered from ads at Wolverhampton Renault for about £25 2 months ago

26. That is a good price I paid £18 5 litres delivered from the supplier/wholesalers ] but had to have a case 4.
    Since then been to Castrol Science, research and technology centre in Berkshire for 5 hours tutorial and tour, [Saw all the engines running on cycles in test beds] Ring and ask for Andy Grifffin the expert.
    Now will only use Castrol Edge 5/w40 or the new Titianium.

Best advice was the slightly cheaper Diesel version is EXACTLY the same stuff only different packaging. They will be stopping this soon.
    Best price was from Matt Lewis motorsport on E bay. You have to ring and ask though [contact details on the site]

27. have you got a number for ads at Wolverhampton? his inbox is full :worried:

28. 01902 439264