R26 Engine oil qty and engine dipstick

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ChrisC, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Hi everyone,

is is it me or are the dipsticks on these engines a waste of time? I bought a new one thinking it would be better but it still doesn't give a clear reading of engine oil level. Does anyone else have the problem with their dipstick not giving the level? Mine just smears up it, I've tried taking it out slow, fast, still the same

Im just trying to refill after a oil filter change, before I put too much in and for peice of mind how much does everyone else put in? The full 6l, 5 and half?

2. I only put in oil up to the 4/5ths mark on the dipstick. If you fill to the maximum it just seems to burn it off which I don't reckon is good for the turbo or the cat

3. I've actually noticed this too. Once it gets to a certain level it stays there.

4. Yer I never really go above that sort of level either, it's just my luck something will go wrong so always aired on the side of caution.
    But the trouble is a cant get an accurate reading it just smears all the way up the dipstick. Unless I'm being mega special lol.
    I've never had to top up oil though, it does defo seem to just stay there providing my on dash oil level is correct that is and from what I can make of the dipstick

5. Yeah, haven't heard of many of these f4r engines using much oil. Seems to be pretty reliable on that regard. Unless your engine has been tuned or badly looked after!

6. Mine sits about half way, the guys at Rentec say so many people are obsessed with having it right up full its ridiculous lol and alot of people end up over filling it.. That was after a service from them. Said half way to 3/4 is absolutely fine.

I do check it every week just incase it is using any.