250 Engine Oil Leak after doing driveshafts.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by André Silva, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Greetings all. I've just finished doing my driveshafts and went for a drive with the car, reaching home I've noticed some engine oil dropping on the floor. Went to check where's the leak from and it seems to be on a little retangular hole between the engine sump and the spot where the flywheel and clutch are.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Rear crankshaft oil seal.
    Gearbox off, clutch and flywheel off.

André Silva likes this.
  3. Thanks a lot mate. By the way, I'm like a weekend mechanic so all the job I do on my Mégane are made in home and on jackstands
    I think removing the gearbox, clutch and flywheel will be a heck a job. Do you recomend that I take it to a professional?

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

The gearbox on the Mk3 is heavy a lot heavier than the 225/R26 one, the subframe will also need to be dropped, gravity will help you to get the box out but i very much doubt you will get it back in on your own.

So finding someone to do it for you that has a ramp, gearbox jack etc will save you in the long run.

Me personally, i would leave it if you can, until you need to replace the clutch, cambelt and bits like that, then if you have the room, pull the whole engine/gearbox unit out and do all the jobs in comfort on the floor, i can do this now in about 3.5 hrs.

Also use a genuine oil seal, i have fitted an aftermarket one and that leaked almost straight away.

5. Thanks a lot mate.
    Do I leave the engine dripping oil? It isn't much but I became worried. It makes sense what you said about taking the engine/ gearbox out.

6. Its common for the crankshaft oil seal to leak, most of the f4r’s ive worked on are a bit drippy. They are a bit of a chew on to fit the new seal without damaging it unless you use the proper seal driver Mot.991

As Ian said, id run it if its only a small drip, do it when clutch needs doing. If its a gusher then might need doing sooner.

7. Thank you both, it was a huge help