Engine loss of power!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by wms_f1, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Hi All

I have a 2008 R26 and been having a strange problem with it over last couple of months.

When accelerating the car will sudden loose power for about a second, then immediately regain power immediately.

The best way to describe would be as if when accelerating it feels like I have pulled off the accelerator for a second then put my foot down again.

I have found the problem to mainly occur when accelerating hard. I cant seem to replicate the problem, it's completely random. Car has had a new set of injectors a few months ago.

Car has also been at the garage on a diagnostic machine, but no errors were found!

Has anybody else suffered a similar problem? Or any ideas what it may be?!

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Is this happening in eavery gear or only in higher gears?

3. Could be a failing MAP sensor as this would cause this.
    Try swapping the manifold one for the pre TB one and see if it's any different.
    If so it could well be the manifold sensor.

4. Just had the exact same problem with my r26 2008. Very arkward to find as it never gave a fault code. Also happens with th cruise control on. Save you alot of time. Put a new brake light switch on it. Its above the passengers feet in the footwell. One connector and twists out. The ecu will be receiving brake information aswell as throttle info. The brake info will for safety always overide the throttle info. Hence cutting the power off. Genuine one was about £20-30 iirc.

5. I has the car been mapped or any bolt on mods?

6. Thanks for all the replies.

rTem - Happens in every gear!

Giles - The garage I took it to suggested something similar.

jontyfivealive- That makes sense! Did it cure you problem?? I don't suppose you can take a pic of the relevant connector/switch. Thanks

Farmer - Car is standard apart from an Induction kit I fitted last week. Problem was there prior to this. And has happened since!

Anyone else had anything similar?

7. spark plugs and coil packs could be worth investigating, id try removing the plugs checking the condition and gap to 0.7mm, look inside the coilpack /ht lead ends and check for corrosion, spray a bit of wd40 into the ends.

also a cheep thing to rule out could be the fuel filter, only about a fiver to replace so it probably wouldn't hurt unless its been done recently.

has any work been carried out lately like a service or any recalls etc? and how often dose it happen?

I had a similar problem with my 250 but it turned out to be a boost cut because of the unknown map.

however if jonty has had t h same problem with his brake light switch its a good possibility that yours is the same. try turning the traction control completely off and see if it does it?

8. i have the same issue and it's a diesel, heard it could be the accelerator pists that get dirty with age and could bring fault, not sure but bl***y annoying.

9. Spark plugs have been changed very recently. But will have a look at the Coil packs.

I was under the impression as I was told before that the R26 doesn't have a serviceable fuel filter?!

Think I will have a look at the brake light switch as jontyfivealive suggested.

tof73 - what is the accelerator pists??

10. the throttle pedal has an electronic sensor inside that determione what angle is on you throttle pedal from the fully up position,
    and from that the ECU knows how much acceleration it is suppose to match,

a bit like a potentiometer but as an agle rather than a displacement if that make sense

11. Thanks tof73

Have you changed the sensor on yours? Has it cured it?

12. I had swapped a throttle pedal and throttle body. Boost pressure sensors, crank sensor, coils, everything that i could swap off my 225 onto the r26. Due to no fault codes and all available perameters showing good readings. After data logging the car for long periods of time i found that when the car cut the power, the only thing that had changed was brake pedal status had changed. So swapped a brake light switch off the 225. And its been fine ever since. Eventually...Job done.

13. Also found that it would knock off the cruise control too.

14. Correct - r26 and the 225 doesn't have a serviceable fuel filter.
    All built into the fuel pump (stupid french!!).

15. Cheers for that guys, much appreciated.

Yea I've had a similar issue with cruise control. At first I assumed I must of touched the brakes or something! Lol.

Jontyfivealive- Don't suppose you got the part number to hand?

Cheers

16. Yep 8200168238

17. Awesome!

Thank you

18. Did it sort it pal?