250 Engine cough/Vibration at idle

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Cowan91, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Last night after a fairly spirited drive when I got home I thought I'd let my car cool off for a few mins before I went in and I noticed a sort of intermittent "cough" feeling from the engine, like every few seconds and it sends a bit of extra vibration through the cabin, felt sort of like a misfire?

It was feeling a bit rougher on idle yesterday at traffic lights etc but I really noticed it when sitting on the drive.. Its due to have its 3rd service so the sparkplugs will be changed very soon but I'm reading an engine mount can cause this vibration?

(Also engine management light stays on before startup which it never did when I got it, but it disappears as soon as I start the car..)

2. I'm assuming its just the plugs with the appearance of the engine management light before startup, has anyone got any recommendations for plugs? Or just the OEM Renault ones?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. engine management light is normal. if there were major problems it would stop on after the engine is switched on, as for rough running, they are all lumpy to an extent. weak point of renault is injectors and coilpacks. i know 225/230 supposely run smooth, but from what i gathered, the 250/265 are alot more un even on idle.

4. I know what you mean. It can feel very lumpy on startup especially now its getting close to freezing here at night! But it seems to feel rougher when I'm sitting with the climate control on. Like you can feel it straight away if I put it on sitting at lights etc. Yesterday I tried starting it with it on and it about had a fit. Sounded like it was struggling and going to stall...

Definitely something weird. Booked in for a service next Tuesday but I'm not keen driving it with how's its behaving until then. Also it was Rentec I booked it in with, but let's just say that might change as the lady on reception didn't fill me with confidence when I told her what car I had.. I don't know if she thought I just had a regular Megane!! Did say renaultsport and she never asked if it was a 225, 250, 265.. Said it was £99 for just the minor service which seems really cheap?

See how it starts when I get home from work but I think I might change the plugs myself and see if that makes a difference. Any suggestions for the plugs?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  5. Standard or ngk equivalent is want most on here use

6. I've got NGK in mine

7. NGK are the standard ones IIRC.

8. My 265 runs lumpy on idle just like yours, an intermittent extra cough. It's done it since new, my old 200 did the same

9. I have used rentec plenty of times on my r26 and they have always been brilliant. They know the renaultsport models well, so I wouldn't worry about their work :smile: