Engine bay hiss

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Ab93, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Hi all, before I start the car is a 2005 megane 225. Been having some check injection issues for a while now and I am aware that I might as well throw darts at a board trying to work out the cause but when it’s been plugged in the diagnostic has pointed to the boost control solenoid valve, however the fault is so intermittent it has led me elsewhere. When the car is running or just after it’s been turned off there is a hissing/air leak noise under the bonnet. This gets louder when feeling around the breather pipe so I’m assuming there’s a hole or a split in there but I think it’s an oil breather? Could this really be the cause of my problems? Also the car seemed to be revving highly by itself and I have read in other places this could be because of the vacuum pipe that goes into the top of the throttle body? Is that more likely the source? Lastly, could a loose connection to the positive battery terminal bring up check injection? Previous owner seems to have rounded my connector and sometimes have to push the connector down to get started. Sorry for the long post just don’t want to hide any possibilities, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. First thing would be to find that vacuum leak and a new battery terminal. The check injection and diagnostic pointing to boost solenoid valve are probably linked to the vacuum leak. To which breather pipe are you referring? See image attached. The red or green?

Get a new battery terminal, they are really not that expensive and then you have peace of mind on that part too. Loose battery terminals can cause very strange behavior. My 2000 Jeep GC had a loose terminal and I kept getting stuttering issues and jerks from the engine while driving. New terminal and no more of that.
    23_2.jpg

3. Hi mate just had it at the garage today and the pipe circled in red is split just the silicone between the valve and the rocker cover so I’m hoping I can just replace the silicone part with something similar if you or anyone knows the diameter? Thanks

4. Hi, been down that route twice, the one way valve (flying saucers) tend to perish.. you can’t buy just silicone, Renault sell the full pipe work.. I did make a plan with just buying one way filter and silicone and clamps and diy the part. All was working for a year. Then got told turbo is blown and it’s coz of the pipe best to bite the bullet and buy the full pipe...

5. Hey AB93 forgot to mention, the RS225 also suffer with perished connection on throttle body as you highlighted earlier, I’ve had that issue and the symptoms are that the engine just dies after starting.. you can hear the leak and if you hold that piece down (to close the leak) then engine is fine. If engine idles high it’s probably perished pipe or flying saucer.