265 Engine bay electrical noise

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by secondborn, Mar 22, 2020.

1. I've recently noticed that with the ignition on there's a buzzing noise coming from the engine bay - you can hear it very clearly in this video - (with the bonus footage of me poking about with a screwdriver trying rather unsuccessfully to point out approximately where I think the noise is coming from). If I wait for the ignition to automatically switch off (when the engine is off), I can hear what sounds like a relay click a few times before the noise stops. The noise is still there with the engine on - it's just not really audible as the engine drowns it out (but I can definitely hear it using a trick I found somewhere else on this forum where someone suggested pressing one end of a screwdriver to the part and the other end to my ear). I'm quite new to car maintenance, and I'm still learning what bits under the bonnet do what, so I have some probably silly questions: does anyone else have this noise (or is it maybe completely normal in these cars); if not, what is the part that the noise is coming from (I've marked it in the photo below)? There does seem to be a wire running into what I assume is some sensor deeper down (not really visible in the photo, but the arrow points to where it is), but I don't really have a clue what function that has.

IMG_2967.png

2. That´s not the electronic butterfly?(well, maybe is not the same word in english) I mean that controlled air intake under the order of acelerator. Many cars makes the same noise with swich on and engine off. Maybe not harder than yours but I think can be normal. I´ll try to reset this device, if the noise continues, try another "butterfly". Sorry if I´m understable!!:fearful:

3. Don't worry about it.

They all do it, its finding its position, the throttle plate is spring loaded so it fighting against the spring.

4. Throttle plate!! Ok, in spanish, and translatting literaly, we call it "butterfly":sweatsmile:

5. same here can be called either