Engine bay bolts/turbo heat cover

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by Scott Lewis Chambers, May 1, 2020.

1. I'm not sure if this is in the right place felt like the engine section was more mechanical than aesthetics.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could get replacement bolts for my engine bay. I'm not really looking for fancy colors. Just some nice ones that don't rust. Too replace the snanky ones that exist now.
    IMG_20200424_123732.jpg IMG_20200424_123721.jpg
    Also the turbo Cover, it looks a bit worse for ware and was hoping to get a new one or to take it of and paint it. It only looks like a few bolts but this isn't my first Renault im not daft. There is always some hidden bolt that's a bitch to get to. Or something that's holding it on that you can't just undo.

IMG_20200424_125243.jpg
    Cheers

2. Hey

The turbo shield is secured by the 3 you can see and the "bitch one" is the one screwed down in the downpipe

It's a bitch because you can't use a tool but not a big deal.

Screenshot_20200501_122042.jpg

Just don't let it fall !! :tearsofjoy:

My shield is also painted with VHT Brake Paint (no recommend, VHT is very very bad paint. But it holds without issues)

For the other screws get one out go to a dealer and buy some shiny ones =) or measure out which one you need / want to replace

3. Ahh I knew there'd be a hidden bitch bolt. There always is, okay then. I've got some black brake paint somewhere I think.

Okay cheers. Ye I'll just take. Odd bolts out, I'll go measure in a bit wonder if anyone had done it recently and new were to get them and sizes. Me just being lazy. Cheers though

Jukidam likes this.
  4. I understand that :grin:

5. I don't have a bolt? Mines got no head :0
    It's just like a hollow circle thing

6. I think in any good hardware store you can find bolts and nuts of every types, strong, size, thread or material. My only advice is don´t use inox steel in heat parts like turbo, down pipes, manifolds and etc.

Scott Lewis Chambers likes this.
  7. Those in the very first pic are torx, but you can replace with almost anything, sure there M5 x 10, if you go for stainless make sure there A4, A2 can rust after a while, just google for you nearest nut and bolt shop.

8. Scott, did you make any headway with this? I’d like to do exactly the same with the bolts and heatshield. I have ordered replacements for the small torx bolts (they should also do for inside the wheel arches) but the other larger bolts I’m at a loss with!

9. No I really didn't get far. I can't find the big bolts I needed up sticking them in white vinegar and letting them soak before giving them a proper good rub down. Then hamrite the heads

IMG_20200518_173515.jpg

Its the only picture I have that really shows the big bolt. If I could walk into screw fix right now I could get one.

I used those dress-up bolts for some of the rusty headlight bolts.

10. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

jamesbeaumont likes this.
  11. is that your engine? What did you use on the aluminium? Looks great!

12. Replaced all the rusty bolts on mine and cleaned the threads - probably worth doing in the long run!

19177296ce31ed99083dbcbece3f9f19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manugtt likes this.
  13. That looks awesome. I used halfrauds high heat alimnium spray paint. Love the gold bolts

14. Thanks mate. Made a big difference!

7b387c4d05f36f645f86622ba48e71a3.jpg

15. Nice . I want to change the engine mount bolts to move gold ones. Looks tidy

16. Tex

Tex

What size bolts and washers did you uses James? I'm probably going to go A4 stainless

17. I bought the following bolts;

4 x M8 x 25mm
    4 x M8 x 50mm
    10 x M6 x 25mm

Washers;

5 x M8 x 30mm
    10 x M6 x 25mm
    5 x M8 x 40mm

Used most of them!

18. You want to do the undertray bolts as well.