Engine Assembly Lube

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Trophyboy, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Ok so I'll be ready soon to start rebuilding my engine and was wondering what's a good engine assembly lube to use??

And on what to use it on? Heard different stories on using the lube on certain parts and oil/light grease on others.

Parts would be:
    Mains bearings, big end bearings, rings, cylinder walls, camshafts, valve guides & stems, hydraulic tappets etc??

Also is it a must to use a fastener assembly lube ie ARP on mains caps/rod bolts or any others thats torqued down?

Cheers

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi
    From what i have heard and done, head bolts, main cap and big end bolts should be assembled without any lube, but i see ARP supply a lubricant but they also say tighten and release twice and then tighten and leave but that is there own technique.
    Pistons, rings and bores well oil, as well as the main bearings and big ends, fill the oil pump while upside down so it gives a good seal when the engine is started.

grease on the valve collets is a must cuz the little bastards will keep falling out and a little engine oil on the valve stems and down the guides would help.

3. Molybendum lube is what i built my forged starlet turbo lump with and that engines still going 35k later.